CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Juvenile ESCAPED: Advice needed, DEVASTATED

Old 08-06-2019, 11:46 AM   #1
embersfriend
Juvenile ESCAPED: Advice needed, DEVASTATED

My 11-year-old's beloved snake Ember escaped his enclosure Sunday night and he discovered it yesterday late morning. Snake is about 8 months old. My boy is absolutely devastated. We took apart his bed, the dresser the vivarium was on, the closets shelving...have looked everywhere in his room all day. Upstairs in all carpet so the corn starch/flour trick won't work. Last night we put his home on the floor with the under-cage heater and put water out in his room and the adjacent bathroom. I got up at 2am to search with a flashlight, still nothing. My biggest fear is that he found the hole in the baseboard behind the toilet in the adjacent bathroom. Do you think that is likely? I'm afraid to cover it up in case he did go in there. In one of the other threads, someone said they put duct tape on the baseboards. Wouldn't that harm the snake? Please, any advice you can provide would be so appreciated! We are still in the first 48 hours of the escape so I am trying to be hopeful and proactive.

Old 08-06-2019, 03:48 PM   #2
scobro
First thing I would do, not so much in regards to catching him but, I would put out a water bowl in the event he is hanging around and you don't find him quickly. Put out a water bowl and might even try putting out his hide.

Old 08-06-2019, 07:05 PM   #3
embersfriend
Thanks! We did that in two places last night. Finally looked in our Don Soderberg book and saw the recommendation for the painters tape traps. Trying that tonight! Read every thread on here with keyword escape. Nothing says what to do if he went in the wall. Probably because there is nothing to do. Have set up water and hides outside of the hole. Fingers crossed we catch him tonight.

Old 08-07-2019, 10:32 AM   #4
embersfriend
No luck. We even did the crumpled plastic bag thing and turned all the lights off and laid there for an hour at midnight. Got up at 4am to check the tape and his enclosure (put it on its side in hopes he might return). Trying not to get discouraged since last night was the end of the first 48 hours. Don Soderberg's book said after that time it is unlikely we will find him but I have seen so many posts about it taking a week or even months. Has anyone here found a young lost corn after a couple days have gone by?

Old 08-07-2019, 10:38 AM   #5
scobro
Have you searched the places you've already searched? Just because it wasn't there once, or twice, doesn't mean it wont be there thrice.

I lost a boa once and went a few days before finding it. Came to find it wrapped around the underseat of a barstool. The solution was right under my ass and I never knew it.

He traveled down a flight of stairs and passed through two other rooms just so he could climb the barstool.

Most the time we as humans tend to think worst case scenario when one goes missing rather than think how fast the snake can move and where it would really want to go.

Old 08-07-2019, 11:26 AM   #6
embersfriend
Thank you! We haven't even started with the downstairs. Everything I read said for the first day or two he is probably in the room we lost him in. I really hope he hasn't got downstairs but if he has we will find him. We will continue searching and not lose hope!

Old 08-20-2019, 08:34 PM   #7
DeuceRon
Have you found it yet? I've heard of snakes going missing for weeks, even months, and then found in good shape.
If you haven't found it, hand in there!!

Let us know..

By the way, we lost ours for 48hours and found her crawling across the basement floor.

Old 08-20-2019, 09:10 PM   #8
hypnoctopus
I lost a baby corn snake one time for at least a few days. It may have even been more than a week, I don't really remember. He made it all the way from one end of the house to the other without any of the dogs, cats, or people noticing him. I eventually found him in the track for the sliding patio door.

Hope you find your little guy soon! They are mostly active early morning and evening, so those are the best times to be paying attention for him. And they tend to move along the walls or furniture, not so much across open spaces.

Old 08-20-2019, 09:16 PM   #9
Pine
I have an albino that has been gone for two weeks now.

Old 08-21-2019, 01:51 AM   #10
embersfriend
We still haven't found him. We've put out bottle traps and tried the painters tape. We have left out water in every room. Fingers crossed!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
escaped, lost