CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Kastanie/Mahogany/Golden/Rosy/Bell's Sunrise/Copper Cornundrum

Old 05-17-2018, 10:32 PM   #31
Dragonling
Very nice. I assume they stay super orangey vs. Sunrise turning more reddish?

Old 05-17-2018, 11:40 PM   #32
steve roylance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonling View Post
Very nice. I assume they stay super orangey vs. Sunrise turning more reddish?
Thanks. Yeah they are actually a tad more dark than Kastanie but still very deep orange colored.

Old 05-18-2018, 10:29 AM   #33
scmartin27
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve roylance View Post
Striped OT
That.. is Beautiful!! I'm excited to see the results of the current breeding, please post photos when you know anything!

Old 05-22-2018, 02:25 PM   #34
scmartin27
Mahogany though?

I'm really curious if anyone knows where Mahogany fits in to all this...?

Copper=Kastanie. So basically copper doesn't exist (except maybe some line bred coppers).

Sunrise is different but allelic to kastanie (right?).

'Orange thing' we're still waiting on answers for (Anything yet, Steve?? on the edge of my seat!).

Java is at least allelic to kastanie according to Don's site, but it's still unknown if it's different from Kastanie or not.

I can only imagine how confusing all the hypo-types were when those were all being tested originally... this is almost giving me a headache

Old 05-22-2018, 03:24 PM   #35
Shiari
I have a feeling that many of these are the same gene, just different phenotypes, the same way a candycane and a sunglow are both still amels.

Because having 6 allelic genes at one locus is rather difficult to believe considering currently the other allelics have... 2?

Old 06-14-2018, 12:19 PM   #36
scmartin27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiari View Post
I have a feeling that many of these are the same gene, just different phenotypes, the same way a candycane and a sunglow are both still amels.

Because having 6 allelic genes at one locus is rather difficult to believe considering currently the other allelics have... 2?
Well, hypo has 3 (hypo-a, strawberry, christmas) - but I agree with you, it's hard to believe that all these would be completely different. Sunrise & Kastanie are different. and I think copper has been proven to just be kastanie. But "orange thing" and mahogany and java...? just Kastanie? or different? no idea. Don S. just had a breeding from 2 Kastanie+Java mixes to see if 2 distinct phenotypes result. hoping he posts his findings.

Steve, any results on your breeding yet?

Old 06-19-2018, 03:50 AM   #37
JimGERcream
AFAIK Kastanie x Java is already done. The pics I've seen showed some hatchlings which looked identical to ordinary Kastanie hatchlings.

Old 09-25-2020, 08:42 AM   #38
scmartin27
Hate to bring up this old thread again buttt....

There's been a few more questions popping up here and there about where each of these lines fit in.
We've pretty much determined that Java and Copper are the same gene as Kastanie, just different lines... right?
But is Mahogany different?
What about OrangeThing?
Any new insight would be great!
I was told today that "Mahogany is the american version of kastanie" and had to laugh... that's what brought me back to this thread to get updates! lol!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google