CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Will a corn snake eat other snakes?

Old 04-12-2011, 06:08 PM   #1
boabass6
Will a corn snake eat other snakes?

The question lies in the title. Will it really hurt if I keep my baby bulls with my full grown corn? I know its not always acceptable to keep different species together, but I am very good about keeping their enclosures clean. I know once the bull snakes are full grown I won't keep them with a corn snake because the bulls have a tendency to eat rattle snakes, but I am just considering temporary husbandry of all three snakes together over the summer.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:48 PM   #2
Jdog3131
No snakes should be kept in the same cage PERIODE!!!It's like living with someone you hate with all your heart.
If need to just get plastic tubs..

Old 04-12-2011, 07:03 PM   #3
VickyChaiTea
You are mistaken, it is never ok to house separate species together. (with the possible exception of the house sized enclosure theory)

Do not house them together, it will cause stress. Yes, the corn snake could very realistically eat the other snakes, especially with a size difference. Heck, even without one snakes that are not naturally snake eaters have killed and consumed each other.

I repeat, do NOT house them together. No snakes should ever be housed with any other type of snake, not even of the same species.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:41 PM   #4
boabass6
I hear your concern about keeping snakes together. It is true to an extent about snakes sometimes being territorial and getting stressed, but my two bull snakes are together and happy, so are my boas. I believe it all comes down to the enclosure size and how clean the owner keeps it. I am only concerned if the corn snake would eat another snake, some species do this and some do not.

Remember some things about colubrids;
Bull snakes, racers, and rattle snakes (which are not colubrids) are different species and they all hibernate together and quite often share the same territory, especially in human territory such as barns where there is a lot of food, save for the rattle snakes.

I don't think you guys are giving bad advice, but I will make the argument you can keep the same species of snakes together as long as the enclosure is big enough and kept clean. I would not advise keeping bull snakes and boas together

Old 04-12-2011, 08:59 PM   #5
Jdog3131
But IF they do hibernate together at least they can get away.In a cage the snakes can't get away(innless in a house-cage)

But I am ok if with keeping snakes in the same place...just make a house a cage and then I would be fine with it.

Alast I can't make you not house snakes together but I can tell you your Bull Snakes aren't happy.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:25 PM   #6
reptile65
The only snakes I would ever feel safe keeping together would be certain types of garter snakes.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:45 AM   #7
dan803
I think the cohabbing debate is largely myth-based. Nobody really knows for sure that it causes stress. Some snakes have lived long, happy lives with another of the same size, species, and sex.

Still, there are perfectly valid reasons why it is a bad idea. If you find a regurge, you won't know who did it if it's late enough in digestion. If one gets sick they likely both will, leading to twice the vet bills. Putting them together right after a meal is dangerous too because it can trigger a feeding response on the other snake. If one is sexed incorrectly they can mate when the female is too young which can be fatal.

Basically it's frowned upon.

Old 04-13-2011, 02:56 AM   #8
Iguanagirl8662
Do not keep your bulls with your corns they are smaller and may very well become lunch. I've seen pictures of corns eat another corn that was the same size as them so it would be easy for your corn to eat a smaller snake. All species of snakes will eat other snakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boabass6 View Post
I hear your concern about keeping snakes together. It is true to an extent about snakes sometimes being territorial and getting stressed, but my two bull snakes are together and happy, so are my boas. I believe it all comes down to the enclosure size and how clean the owner keeps it. I am only concerned if the corn snake would eat another snake, some species do this and some do not.

Remember some things about colubrids;
Bull snakes, racers, and rattle snakes (which are not colubrids) are different species and they all hibernate together and quite often share the same territory, especially in human territory such as barns where there is a lot of food, save for the rattle snakes.

I don't think you guys are giving bad advice, but I will make the argument you can keep the same species of snakes together as long as the enclosure is big enough and kept clean. I would not advise keeping bull snakes and boas together

Hibernating and being forced to live together are two different things and cannot be used to prove your point. Wild snakes do not live together. They may run into each other or gather in the same spot to hibernate but the don't travel around together. Snakes are solitary animals and forcing them to live together no matter how clean you keep the tank it is not fair they can't get away from each they are forced to stay there. Yes snakes can live long, healthy lives being cohabbed but that does not mean it was the right thing.

My first 2 corns lived together for years and I said the same things you are saying when I first joined here. My corns lived together with no issues that I noticed but I didn't know as much as I do now. My corns eventually started having digestive issues then they mated to young. After separating them I could tell they were living a much better life.

In my opinion forcing a solitary animal to cohabitate is cruel no matter how clean the tank is and I'm saying this from experience. I made my snakes live together and I feel bad about it now but I was able to make their lives better by learning. The only one benefiting from cohabbing is the owner beacuse it cost you less money and space, the snakes do not benefit, they don't desire company.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:26 AM   #9
ZoologyGirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan803 View Post
Some snakes have lived long, happy lives with another of the same size, species, and sex.
And some people live long happy lives smoking cigarettes, but it's not worth the risk (to me at least).

Old 04-14-2011, 09:05 AM   #10
dan803
If two snakes are "snuggling," how do we know it's so stressful for them and a competition? Can't they just happen to be in the same spot and feel indifferent towards each other? I don't advocate cohabbing. I'm just curious about this behavior.