CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Aggresion before possible clutch?

Old 06-25-2010, 08:43 PM   #1
Kyra Omega
Question Aggresion before possible clutch?

I check out my girl everyday since she just had her "pre-lay" shed on this past weekend and she hasn't left her box since friday. Well when I opened her tub today I notoiced her moss smelled really musty so I decided to change it. She is normally a very active girl and all I have seen her do in the past week is stick her head out for some water. Well when I opened her lay box and reached in to pet her she "shoved" me with her coils... I thought maybe I firightened her so I pet her a little more and she started ... twitching? ( the best word I can think of ) So I got a little worried and changed her moss in the nest box. She cruised the tank while I did and left a pee. I *think* I might have seen 5 or 6 egg shaped bumps on her, though this might be my imagination. When I put the box back she immediatly went back into it. When I went to close the lid she tail rattled and then "dumb struck" me. She struck at me but didn't bite, and I think I heard her hiss? Do cornsnakes hiss? She has never tail rattled or struck at me before. She is the sweetest most gentle snake I have.

Anyway I closed up her tub after that and I won't be bothering her for the rest of the day, the next time I will see her will be tomorrow morning for an " i hope I have eggs" inspection.

I guess my question is, has anyone noticed similar behavior in their females before they have layed eggs, or could this be caused somehow by her staying in the damp moss non stop for a week?

Thanks

Old 06-25-2010, 08:54 PM   #2
cornsnakeforsale_com
She's a wild animal waiting to lay eggs, it's just instinct, nothing to worry about. Give her a little extra space for a while.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:02 PM   #3
Kyra Omega
I'm not 100 % sure she is actually gravid. The person I got her from said she *might* be. So I was hoping/wondering this was a normal sign she was getting ready to lay, Like maybe a pickles and ice cream kinda thing? And not a sign that she might be getting sick or having other health problems.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:08 PM   #4
Critter1398
My female corn snake did the same exact thing when she was about to lay her eggs, but she is a little mean.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:13 PM   #5
Kyra Omega
Thanks Critter,

A little releived someone shared the same experience as me.

I just want to be sure she stays healthy. I Love my snakes and all my pets! They are the children I will never have lol I even send framed pictures of them to my parents and in-laws and they hang them on the grandchildren wall. LOL

Old 06-25-2010, 10:28 PM   #6
Sweetseraph
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyra Omega View Post
I even send framed pictures of them to my parents and in-laws and they hang them on the grandchildren wall. LOL
Wow, you must have very progressive parents and in-laws that they hang snake pictures on their grandchildren wall! That's hilarious!

My snake gets a little pushy with her coils when I'm checking on her in her lay box too. Just wait until ya gotta get the eggs away from her! LOL

Old 06-25-2010, 11:10 PM   #7
Kyra Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetseraph View Post
Wow, you must have very progressive parents and in-laws that they hang snake pictures on their grandchildren wall! That's hilarious!
Our parents are pretty cool. My Family is very laid back and are absolute animal lovers! More pics of the animals on the walls then the family anyway, and my husband's parents are just very nice people aching for more grandchildren...and since I can't produce... they will take what they can get

Old 06-25-2010, 11:52 PM   #8
Critter1398
When I tried to get my eggs away from my Corn snake she was biting, hissing, and rattling her tail. She's kind of a mean snake anyway, but she was extra mean with her eggs.

Old 06-26-2010, 03:33 AM   #9
desertanimal
Yes, my girl gets cranky around laying time. I probably would, too.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google