CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Biting Snake

Old 01-18-2011, 01:23 PM   #1
Naagas
Biting Snake

My new snake (I've had her for about a month), Ophelia, bit me last night- twice!
Once on the arm, and once on the face!

I've never been bitten by an adult snake until her, so I thought I would share my experience.
She is grumpy and hasn't settled in yet. Last night was only my third time handling her since I got her. She had a tail injury while in brumation- the tip turned black and fell off. I think this and the total change in environment has gotten her feeling defensive and scared.

I was holding her last night and she was fine for a while- she curled into my hoodie and layed there with her head sticking out. Then I moved- she shot out fast. I grabbed her right before she hit the ground (which is challenging with a long snake!) and she rewarded me with a bite right on the cheek, and another on the arm.

I noticed she bit me on the face, because it is hard to not notice an adult snake launching itself into your face.
However, I only noticed the arm bite because it started to bleed.
The face bite I could feel a little.
I expected an adult's bite to hurt more.

So- I survived and I could barely feel it. I do have a really cool bite mark on my arm though.
If you are worried about getting bitten, don't be. It isn't nearly as bad as being musked or getting pooped on.

I will post pics when I get to a computer, for the curious.

I'm hoping she will calm down with regular handling. I'm trying to exercise her because Im planning on breeding her- but I also don't want to over stress her. If anybody has advice, I welcome it.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:32 PM   #2
Nanci
I think any snake would respond with a bite if grabbed mid-flight. I wouldn't be particularly worried that she did that. I'd watch out for situations where she could start flailing around, which might set her off into flight mode. I think calm, gentle handling should reassure her that you mean her no harm.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:43 PM   #3
Christen
I let my snakes hang out around my neck when I am cleaning out tanks and such but that has always been my fear that one will bite my face and get an eye. I am sure that their tiny teeth could do some damage. So I never allow any of my new snakes to cruise on me or on the floor unattended until I make sure that I know their personality inside and out, before I allow my hands to let go of the snake.

Old 01-18-2011, 04:05 PM   #4
Naagas
I now know how quickly adult snakes can launch. I will try to keep a good hold on her next time- I'm trying to reduce her stress, not increase it!

Old 01-18-2011, 04:06 PM   #5
eisoj5
Hey--no advice, just wanted to note that I have an Ophelia, too

Old 01-18-2011, 08:06 PM   #6
Nanci
Well- holding too tight really stresses nervous snakes, too! I have three that I just can't ever really hang on to- I just have to keep moving my hands. If I clamp down at all they death roll and whip really hard!

Old 01-18-2011, 08:14 PM   #7
Naagas
Lol! Ok, hold on but not too tightly!

Aother Ophelia! Great name for a snake. I have to admit that she did come pre-named, so I didn't come up with it.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:22 PM   #8
Nanci
My ball and chain, I mean gargoyle gecko, is named Ophelia.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:08 PM   #9
Christen
Oh yeah I didn't really mean to "hold on" to the snake. I just only let them slither in between fingers and lower arms instead of my whole body that way I have a little more control over the snake with out the snake really knowing. And that way if you do need to grab because they are trying to flee they don't feel as threatened because you alreay have your hands on them. And really all I was sayin is, that is my biggest fear that is why they are only allowed on my hands until I know them better.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:21 PM   #10
Dreamsnake
When I was first transferring Balthazar into his repaired viv he shot out and got some snake air. My husband started scrambling around on the counter looking for him, while I play hot potato as the snake sprang from one hand to the other. As soon as he felt my hand close around his body he relaxed. I think he was always grasped and was unnerved by a gentle hand. He is the only snake I'll hand to my oldest son or my nephew and turn away. Some snakes do like a firm hand I guess.

Not suggesting you grab Ophelia to try and tame her that way, I just like like telling this story.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google