CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Climbing to the top of the cage

Old 07-18-2005, 09:31 PM   #1
HAUZEY
Climbing to the top of the cage

I've had my cornsnake for about 5 weeks and its recently gotten big enough to climb to the top of the cage and rest itself between a part all the way around the lid. The lid is secured very well so I'm sure she won't escape but she often trys to turn herself around and falls down back into the cage. Is this ok or is there something I should do to prevent her from doing it. I hate to see her fall in case theres a chance of injury.

Old 07-18-2005, 09:44 PM   #2
ScottyK
My snakes went through that phase with no harm done. Mine were falling into a soft bed of Aspen though, so you may have different results if you have a hard floor like the astroturf. I'd be surprised if you have any serious problems though.

I added diagonal climbing branches to my vivs. The snakes seem to enjoy climbing on them, and it stopped them from falling as they now have something to grab onto.

Hope this helps,
Scott

Old 07-18-2005, 10:02 PM   #3
dwyn127
Sits up in the lid?? Can't say I've ever heard that one!!!

Old 07-18-2005, 10:09 PM   #4
HAUZEY
Wierd, i took the same picture last night, and ur snake looks really similar to mine. thanks for the advice guys.

Old 07-19-2005, 12:42 AM   #5
Lennycorn
I'm in the works on setting up my snake in a larger "old tank". A 24"x12"x12". I think it's a 20 gal. But anyway, I had to buy a new screen cover for it, that caps the hold top of tank and that will leave an edge for the snake to crawl like your picture. But I think might try to fill the edge in silicone, troweling off the excess with a putty knife and drying time or filling it in with wood to prevent that for happening. Hot glue some straws in there. ( glue in the ends is a must)

Just a thought

Old 07-19-2005, 03:31 PM   #6
Steve H
When I was still using aquariums for my corns I just filled in the ledge with silicone.

Old 07-21-2005, 12:22 AM   #7
Gloto11
Hi Bill

Mine enjoys perching on her themometer cord

Old 07-21-2005, 03:23 AM   #8
A_Mc
They're so cute when they do that--It's like they're hiding up there. *You can't see me*
Just be careful if you take the lid off, to make sure they're in the tank...I know of some that have lost snakes because they thought they were in their hide boxes. They took off the lids, and the little ones escaped while they were loking for them in the tank.

Old 07-27-2005, 11:25 AM   #9
Ako3131
Meijers sells great stuff called "aquarium sealant" that can be used for filling in that ledge. In my opinion it worked much better than using hot glue and straws (or aquarium tubes cut in half like I used the first time I tried) because it left a much cleaner ledge and it didn't start to come off after a while (!). It's the same product that many people use to hold the sides together when creating their own tanks.

Old 07-27-2005, 03:20 PM   #10
miamijuan3
that looks like my sunshine she does the same thing when shes hungry then i feeds her and she chills. i started with one okatee and now i have a amel, a anery striped and an anery aztec and an allways having to stop myself from buying more. have fun .....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google