CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Gay snakes...

Old 05-15-2009, 07:47 PM   #1
theMeanGreen
Gay snakes...

I just caught my 2, supposedly male, snakes mating...Their tails are intertwined and they both seem to be enjoying it. Anyone else ever seen this?

Is it possible the guy who sold me the snake made a mistake about its gender? I didnt buy them from just anybody, but someone who breeds and sells them for a living. I will try to get his name and edit this when I do.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:57 PM   #2
BobbyHill
It's very possible that they were sexed incorrectly before being sold to you. This is one of the many reasons why many of us feel that co-habitating snakes is a BAD idea. I suggest you separate them.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:04 PM   #3
DaGiant
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyHill View Post
It's very possible that they were sexed incorrectly before being sold to you. This is one of the many reasons why many of us feel that co-habitating snakes is a BAD idea. I suggest you separate them.

!!!BINGO!!!

Old 05-15-2009, 08:11 PM   #4
Agent Psychocat
Mistakes can always be made when sexing snakes, many breeders check two or three times over their initial feeding schedual.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:15 PM   #5
Floof
Yeah, sounds like someone was mis-sexed. Especially if they're copulating, you NEED to separate them... Anyone else notice that they're only an '07 and an '08? Separate them and find a good snake vet to contact in case... Whichever one the female is, she's 99% likely too small to even consider breeding, which means you have a big chance of her getting eggbound.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:22 PM   #6
Chip
Can't you just accept them for being who they are?

Old 05-15-2009, 08:44 PM   #7
kathylove
Snake sexing is pretty accurate, especially if you do it twice - once when they hatch, and once when they are sold, or moved up to a bigger cage. But it is not 100% accurate, no matter who does it. Once in a while, I come across one that seems "sort of in the middle" when probing. So although it is VERY LIKELY that they will be sexed properly by a good breeder, you can't be absolutely positive about it.

As others have mentioned, that is why it is not good to take any chances by keeping them together, ESPECIALLY if they are not both fully developed, and capable of of carrying eggs without likely problems.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:01 PM   #8
MegF.
I would certainly not be keeping two supposed males together. Come breeding age...you're going to have some fights going on.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:00 PM   #9
RobbiesCornField
Even if they are two males, it could have been a dominance fight. Sometimes, a more dominant male will "mate" with another male to assert his dominance over the territory. I haven't heard of this with corn snakes before, but I have read about it happening with another type of snakes. (I'll have to find the article)

Old 05-15-2009, 10:27 PM   #10
theMeanGreen
They have their own cages. I just let them roam around together for a bit and noticed what they were doing. I don't let them live together. the one taking it is 9+ months old.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google