CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

Some Cheap DIY's

Old 02-20-2016, 04:12 PM   #1
FriendlyAmoeba
Some Cheap DIY's

These are just some of the ideas I had to keep her first viv low cost because I'm planning on going all out for her permanent home. In the very back I used wallpaper samples from Farrow-ball.com. They were completely free and they're more aesthetically pleasing than some of the other backgrounds I had seen. I also used one of those little cereal bowls with a straw built in for the hide on the left and a plastic pot for the hide on the right. I found the wood and disinfected it and she loves climbing on it. I did splurge a little on the humid hide in the center but she absolutely loves it!

Old 02-21-2016, 10:56 AM   #2
nancyg
and the sponge hanging from the screen is so you can dribble water on it for humidity? That's a great idea! By the time she's big enough to reach it and pull it down you'll have her in her permanent home.
I'm sticking that idea (sponge) in my 'bag', I haven't had problems with humidity and sheds here but it's always handy to have solutions.

Will her permanent home have a heat mat instead of the lamp, or is that only for light?

Old 02-21-2016, 12:27 PM   #3
DollysMom
Great ideas. I love the wallpaper background. The commercially sold flat backgrounds are expensive and don't really look that great. This is awesome!

When it gets down to single digits and the humidity drops in my house,, I put a terry bath towel (make sure to not use fabric softeners or soap with a strong scent) over 3/4 of the screen lid and spray it with water a couple of times a day. Works a treat, just FYI as an alternative to a sponge in the viv.

Old 02-21-2016, 10:51 PM   #4
FriendlyAmoeba
I actually started using the sponge not too long ago because of the dryness where I live and it's been working like a dream! It raised the humidity almost 10% and I nearly jumped for joy! Her home now also has a heating pad, but it's a little small so it doesn't keep her tank warm enough by itself. The lamp is actually a ceramic bulb and it works amazingly! I love the bath cloth idea, I'll keep that in mind for if she ever figures out how to pull down the sponge.

Old 02-22-2016, 07:25 PM   #5
Distaff
I made a humid hide out of two different tupperware-type containers zip-tied together. They are a bit mismatched, but that got me the size I wanted. Ended up looking like a UFO. It is very dry here, the corn spends a lot of time in it.

Anyway, that was fine for the old enclosure - which was papered over all over anyway for extra insulation for winter. I moved the snake to a new enclosure this week, and am aiming for much more of a naturalistic display.

Aesthetically, that tupperware isn't cutting it. I'll probably go with a faux rock "cave." as well. It will blend in better with the rest of the viv.

Old 02-22-2016, 08:06 PM   #6
FriendlyAmoeba
My corn loves her humid hide, she spends most of her time in curled up in there. I use sphagnum moss to keep mine damp, and I think she really enjoys the feel of it.

Old 02-22-2016, 08:27 PM   #7
Distaff
Yeah.
I use sphagnum moss too, and re-spray it every couple of days. So far, it hasn't molded, and still smells fresh.

Old 02-23-2016, 12:04 AM   #8
FriendlyAmoeba
From what I had read I was worried it would mold quickly but mine hasn't gotten moldy either.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:30 AM   #9
Dmvr
The sponge idea is rather good, will keep it in mind if i have some humidity issues.
Thanks for sharing!

Old 05-16-2016, 11:46 AM   #10
albertagirl
Excellent! I'm finding more and more ways to save money, reptile specific items are ridiculously overpriced in pet stores! DIY is sooooo much cheaper.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google