CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

custom decor

Old 04-14-2014, 04:43 PM   #11
Senusenu
Thank you When I am ready to try offering some, I will let folks know.

Old 11-15-2015, 07:40 PM   #12
kdickens
I love these so much! You did a great job. What kind of clay did you use? There are so many kinds. If it was 'Sculpey' what type was it? They make several types. Looking for a winter project!
Thanks!

Old 12-15-2015, 10:22 AM   #13
Distaff
Beautiful!
I really like that hollow stump with the mushrooms in it's original white state. I've been playing around with the idea of a tank that is "naturalistic," but also kind of a fantasy theme, with everything in faded out grey and white tones.

Old 12-15-2015, 10:24 AM   #14
Distaff
I would like to know about the clay, and the firing.
Did you use a real kiln?
I know nothing about pottery - always been interested, but the initial expenses look steep.

Old 01-01-2016, 03:21 PM   #15
Kuda
These are so cool! I'd totally buy them. You are very talented.

Old 02-25-2016, 06:42 PM   #16
Senusenu
Sorry guys, I hadn't logged in for a while! I appreciate all the nice feedback

It's Sculpey III, which is "cooked" in a normal oven, it doesn't need firing in a kiln. I used the big, white block and painted it, but you can use the colored ones as well if you prefer. Follow it up with 2-3 coats of Minwax Polycrylic- I used semi-satin but you can use gloss or satin, just depends on what you like the look of.

I did have one bowl crack. The inside of the small bowl cracked because I had overlayed a very thin layer of clay to add some thickness, and that layer cracked after maybe 6 or 9 months. The large tree stump bowl is still going strong though with no signs of cracking and is still in use by my big boy, Ankh.

I haven't made anything new, our tiny apartment we moved to is so cramped I have to shift half my room just to reach my snakes. We'll be moving again soon, to hopefully a bigger place where I'll have room for a "craft corner" and can make more.

When I do, I'll add them to this thread.

Old 02-25-2016, 11:19 PM   #17
Distaff
Thanks for the info!

I've been looking at sites that use foam for DIY rock ledges and backgrounds. So far, however, I've just bought what I've needed ready-made.

I too, can't wait to move so there will be more space for crafts!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google