CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

What is the best substrate for corns (baby vs. adult)?

Old 08-14-2002, 11:44 AM   #1
Rainey
What is the best substrate for corns (baby vs. adult)?

Hey All!

I was just wondering what is the best substrate for corns and what the different advantages and disadvantages are. Are there any definites that should not be used?

Thanks!

Old 08-14-2002, 11:51 AM   #2
SilverTongue
Aspend is the best but I think it is too dusty and it sticks to everything. You can also use dry moss, it looks more natural. There is also a cage carpet that actually grows real grass in a short period. Try all of them till you find something you like

Old 08-14-2002, 12:01 PM   #3
Rainey
How much of a pain is dry moss and cage carpet to clean? Are they inexpensive? I would like to use moss but I was told it's a pain to keep clean and harder to find poo.

Old 08-14-2002, 12:43 PM   #4
SilverTongue
Well if you spto check often and if you have good light in the cage spot cleaning is not that hard with moss. Also It is very hard to find baby poop anyways. It is just good to clean the cage oftne 1-2 times a week. Depending on what you think you should do. Now the cage carpet that grows grass I have not used yet. I plan on buying some next payday. Right now I have indoor/outdoor carpte in there and covered it in aspen. I dont care too much for aspen now so I will be changing after my lil supply runs out. If it clears up anything It is terribly hard to find baby poo on aspen too. Sometimes you get lucky and the poop on the cage wall and you can see it GL

Old 08-14-2002, 02:00 PM   #5
Alicia
Aspen, paper towels and newspaper are all very popular choices and work well. Newspaper and paper towels are very inexpensive and are great for babies and adults. Aspen costs a little more but the benefits are worth it to me. It is pleasing to look at (for most people), the snakes like to tunnel and hide in it and it is absorbant and easy to clean. Just speaking for myself I use the aspen for babies and adults. I have not found the aspen to be dusty, maybe it's the brand I don't know. Some other choices are Repti Bark and other commercial reptile bedding. The ones that are not recommended are sand (corns are not a desert species) and corncob bedding. Both are very drying to the skin and the risk of impaction is greater. Corncob gets very moldy if water gets spilled in it. Cage carpet is fine, just have a spare piece handy because it will need to be changed often. Good luck with what ever you choose.

Old 08-14-2002, 02:06 PM   #6
Rainey
What is impaction?

What is impaction?

Sorry, I'm new to this stuff.

Thanks

Old 08-14-2002, 02:12 PM   #7
Alicia
If they swallow something like the sand or the corncob it will not pass thru and they will not be able to go to the bathroom. This is a problem if you feed inside the cage on those substrates. If you feed in another container you will still have the problem of the excess drying of the skin and that can cause shedding problems.

Old 08-14-2002, 03:17 PM   #8
Simon
I'd say no matter for hatchlings or adults,
aspen is the best substrates for corns and even other snakes...
they are just so easy to find and so low in price...
love them....
they take a lot of the odor away from the poop and they don't look too bad.....and the most important of all.....they are very easy for cleaning...

Old 08-14-2002, 05:58 PM   #9
Iris
Cedar is a definite no-no. It can kill your snake.
I use paper towels for my hatchlings. I used aspen for a little while but man oh man was it hard to find their poop. Paper towels are really good b/c they're so cheap, readily available, and you can spot the poop right away.
I use aspen for my bigger snake because he is a burrower and loves to tunnel all over the place. He likes to lie under the aspen all day and come out at night. Finding the poop in the aspen is not a problem for me with this guy b/c I always make sure he poops outside of the tank on folded newspapers. This way I can go longer without changing the aspen and he doesn't stink up the cage with his poop.

Old 08-14-2002, 06:01 PM   #10
Joshua
Just curious here, but why has no one even mentioned Carefresh at all?

Joshua

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google