CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Corn cob

Old 11-19-2003, 08:31 AM   #1
Shaky
Corn cob

OK, for crying out loud. I've heard repeatedly that corn cob is bad for snake bedding, but I don't know why.
I dont even want to use it, but I do want to know why I cant.

Old 11-19-2003, 08:59 AM   #2
Wannabevet83
I'm not positive, but I think I've heard that a couple of the reasons are that it is too rough for the snake and can cause abrasions and it absorbs too much moisture, and can dry out the snake.

These are just things I've heard...someone please correct me if I'm wrong

Old 11-19-2003, 09:31 AM   #3
Rachel
I've never heard of it being used with snakes, only for geckos. I agree with wannabevet, I think it would be too abrasive and not very 'burrowable'

Old 11-19-2003, 11:35 AM   #4
cj_corns789
yes its not really for snakes. it really drys out the air and makes it hard for the snake to shed.

Old 11-19-2003, 01:44 PM   #5
blito
the thing about burrowing is true.. as is the drying out of the air BUT that can be overcome by use of a second water bowl. I use corn cob as a substrate and have had no problems with it but i would agree that there are other alternatives that may well be better suited to snakes.
Oh and Rachel, about not hearing about anyone using it for snakes.. i`ve stated on this board many times that i use it

Old 11-19-2003, 04:10 PM   #6
pinatamonkey
I've heard that it also molds easily and can easily cause impaction if digested.

Old 11-19-2003, 04:14 PM   #7
blito
mold is a problem if you spill water on it...
impaction shouldn`t be a problem as its supposedly digestable.
still, its a good idea to feed ina separate container or other such feeding technique... lets avoid tempting fate eh?

again, I use it and have no problem with it but i understand that there are other, better alternatives available.

Old 11-19-2003, 04:37 PM   #8
Wannabevet83
Quote:
Originally posted by blito

impaction shouldn`t be a problem as its supposedly digestable.
Corn cob is digestible? I've never heard of that, learn something new every day.

Old 11-19-2003, 05:07 PM   #9
blito
dont quote me on it... i didn`t say it IS i said that it ALLEGEDLY IS and theres a difference there... i wouldnt want to put it to the test myself

Old 11-19-2003, 05:16 PM   #10
Wannabevet83
Quote:
Originally posted by blito
dont quote me on it... i didn`t say it IS i said that it ALLEGEDLY IS and theres a difference there... i wouldnt want to put it to the test myself
Okay, that's what I figured...I didn't want to be mean and say something like "what the hell are you talking about!?!?" LOL

As far as the quotes...I already did on that orginal message sorry Hopefully then will look down one more post before sending you hate mail

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google