CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

DIY: Making my own cage furniture...

Old 09-11-2008, 10:23 PM   #11
TripleMoonsExotic
Ok...This is how search engines work...
The engine searches through post content and thread title to determine if a particular thread matches what is being searched for. If their is no decent keywords, the thread will not show up at all in a search...

Using this example...Searching for "sculpey" does not produce a single hit on this thread (it might now though since I input the keyword into my post)...However, "cage furniture" does...BUT...The thread that this thread is linked to is #3 on the list anyway.

See my point?

You all do realize if we end up with 100+ threads in the DIY section that the search function will be necessary to find anything, right?

Old 09-11-2008, 10:34 PM   #12
Jimmysan00
AMEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosthousecorns View Post
Isn't the whole idea for there to be one area where all the do it yourself projects are gathered together for easy finding? Who cares if it's a link, it still will be possibly helpful to somebody. The search function doesn't always work to find stuff. At least by putting links to threads in this section people have a good starting point.
Why should Rich have to do all this extra stuff to move the threads here? I mean, the guy is already pretty busy.
I agree. Rich does have a lot on his plate already and the links do pertain to DIY projects. But Exotic does have a point about the clay it is a DIY but there's no instruction for someone to do it themselves.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:44 PM   #13
alan
I think just the fact that it will give someone an idea they didn't think of justifies it.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:48 PM   #14
Jimmysan00
Spoken like a true leader. Thanks for your words of wisdom Alan, always good to hear from you.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:17 PM   #15
michael couture
I see too many people on forum's discouraging eachother, what's the point clearly we all share one thing in common which is loving reptiles, and any and all information is a good thing, it does'nt matter who originally wrote it.
I appreciate your link, and let's look at the positive side of life, we are able to care for creatures better than ever before in captivity, and it's all because people shared information and encouraged others to use the best techniques for the benifit of the animals we are responsible for.

Old 09-12-2008, 01:21 AM   #16
Rich Z
No, Rich does NOT have time to search out DIY threads and move them here. And neither do the mods.

I don't have a problem with people providing links here to other older threads.

So everyone just chill out over this, OK? Please don't give me a reason to regret setting up this new forum or it will simply disappear.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:49 AM   #17
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
No, Rich does NOT have time to search out DIY threads and move them here. And neither do the mods.
Wasn't trying to imply that you needed to search for anything, Rich. Sorry about that.

Maybe an alternative is for the posters of the links to write a description/intro before the link so the thread shows up in a search and a viewer can judge whether it would be worth clicking on before hand?

Old 09-12-2008, 12:07 PM   #18
jpccusa
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleMoonsExotic View Post
Maybe an alternative is for the posters of the links to write a description/intro before the link so the thread shows up in a search and a viewer can judge whether it would be worth clicking on before hand?
Bear in mind that this area is pretty new and unless it is useful, Rich can simply *pooff* (Gone)...

I figured the "big guys" (Rich and moderators) were pretty occupied with all the rest of things they do, therefore not having time to micro-manage this sub-folder. That's why I started posting links to very old DIY projects. By doing this, people could not only see the original post, but also all the others that followed, including progression pictures and troubleshooting posts.

TME, I see your point of a short introduction before the link, and if I find any other DIY project to link, I'll make sure to include a brief description.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:12 PM   #19
Nanci
I think you could copy and past the whole thing, pictures and all, too. I have a thread of mine I want to move here, but I thought just a link would be kind of sucky.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:20 PM   #20
jpccusa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
I think you could copy and past the whole thing, pictures and all, too. I have a thread of mine I want to move here, but I thought just a link would be kind of sucky.
Do you mean to copy and paste all the posts from a thread into a new one? I don't think I (or anyone else besides Rich and moderators) can do that.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google