CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

Easy and inexpensive Rock Background

Old 09-30-2008, 10:48 PM   #1
Spurticus
Easy and inexpensive Rock Background

Found this on You Tube. This is cool !
Planning on giving this one a shot this weekend. . . .this would go great with the Artificial Rocks Thread TripleMoonsErotic posted.

[yt]5Ng6GeF9mA[/yt]

Old 09-30-2008, 10:48 PM   #2
Spurticus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
Found this on You Tube. This is cool !
Planning on giving this one a shot this weekend. . . .this would go great with the Artificial Rocks Thread TripleMoonsErotic posted.

[yt]5Ng6GeF9mA[/yt]

Oops. . . .lets just try the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5Ng6GeF9mA

Old 09-30-2008, 10:52 PM   #3
Spurticus

That would be TripleMoonsExotic

I gotta get some sleep

Old 09-30-2008, 11:13 PM   #4
LBoz
I think that's great for using in a fish tank, but for an open air viv, you don't need to use concrete. Heck, I didn't use it for my tank at all. I used the same type of pink insulation, but a thicker piece. I carved it out with grooves and crevices to make it look "rock like." Then I used a heat gun on it. This helps to melt it down a bit and give it a more "natural" look. After that I spray painted it with krylon paint. I sealed it with silicone, but I don't think I'd bother if used in a viv. I'd simply seal it with a polyurethane sealer and let it cure from there. It's really very simple, especially if you're not attempting to make it marine safe.

Old 10-01-2008, 03:54 PM   #5
Limejoker224
I was kind of wondering about this myself. If you use silicone to stick your background to the tank wouldn't all the rocks towards the bottom be a pain to clean? Would it be better to just leave it in as a tight fit or maybe use something like Velcro to keep it tight but still removable? I'm a noob here, sorry if im saying silly things.

Old 10-01-2008, 04:07 PM   #6
LBoz
Personally, I don't think that's a silly question at all. I don't know that I'd necessarily want it "removable" because if it's not so tight that you can remove it, you risk the snake finding a way behind it and possibly getting trapped. Also, removing a piece of foam board like that would be difficult as it can get crumbly. Velcro or an adhesive spray would make it less permanent, but I think for general cleaning, you'd want to just be able to wipe it down, which is why I suggested polyurethane. That way you could spray your chlorhex or bleach or whatever you used for cleaning on it and it wouldn't harm it.

Again, this is just my 2 cents. My viv background is completely siliconed to the back because it was previously used under water. There's no way I could get that thing out without a ton of work, and I'd definitely ruin the piece in the process.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:44 PM   #7
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
TripleMoonsErotic
Whoooooooooa! I already have people think TripleMoonsExotic.com is a dirty site because of the "exotic"...Now what are people going to think?

Old 10-01-2008, 07:42 PM   #8
Spurticus
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleMoonsExotic View Post
Whoooooooooa! I already have people think TripleMoonsExotic.com is a dirty site because of the "exotic"...Now what are people going to think?
I knew as soon as I hit the submit button I'd screwed that one up . . .but couldn't take it back.
Funny . . . I'm a moderator on a Gamecock Website that uses a VBulletin board just like this. . . .I make a lot of mistakes, but being a mod, I have Editing capabilities and can go back and edit out those little slip ups. I made that mistake and was clicking like hell at the bottom right hand screen to go into the Edit mode . . ..But I Couldn't Take it Back !!!!!!!

Sorry about that

Old 10-01-2008, 07:48 PM   #9
Spurticus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limejoker224 View Post
I was kind of wondering about this myself. If you use silicone to stick your background to the tank wouldn't all the rocks towards the bottom be a pain to clean? Would it be better to just leave it in as a tight fit or maybe use something like Velcro to keep it tight but still removable? I'm a noob here, sorry if im saying silly things.

I'm going to do this this weekend just to see how it turns out. . . . I'm not going to seal the background to the tank permanently. If it's not a tight enough fit to stand alone, I'm going to use some tape or clips at the top to hold it in. . . . . . . and instead of doing the "Fill and Drain" I was just going to do a couple of rinses outside and let it sit a dry several hours between showers to make sure the silt is cleaned away.

My tank is set up with just a tree and a small artificial log and some rocks. I like the Desert type set up, with not vines or leaves. I like the Rock background and I'm planning on doing some of the fake rocks that TripleMoons had in that thread as well.

Old 10-02-2008, 02:03 AM   #10
Limejoker224
Quote:
I'm going to do this this weekend just to see how it turns out. . . . I'm not going to seal the background to the tank permanently. If it's not a tight enough fit to stand alone, I'm going to use some tape or clips at the top to hold it in. . . . . . . and instead of doing the "Fill and Drain" I was just going to do a couple of rinses outside and let it sit a dry several hours between showers to make sure the silt is cleaned away.

My tank is set up with just a tree and a small artificial log and some rocks. I like the Desert type set up, with not vines or leaves. I like the Rock background and I'm planning on doing some of the fake rocks that TripleMoons had in that thread as well.
I don't think you need to drain it as much as they do. They're making that background for a fish tank so they want to lower the PH and rinse off any extra chemicals.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google