CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

going to build a rack need help on heat.

Old 10-03-2008, 12:59 AM   #1
darkmorning1
going to build a rack need help on heat.

Hey am looking to build a 5 level rack it would hold 31qt and a few smaller ones. it would be around 48'' tall and thats with some space at the end since i don't like the look of a bin on the floor. about 35'' long and 18'' deep will have a bit of space on the sides i know. and lids will be kept on since i have a cat. and i just cant trust a lidless bin. Anyway on picking wood. not sure. Melamine is going to be my first bet. but if they don't have it. some kind of wood is next in line. and from there i either want to stain the wood. or paint it Black. Ok with me so far?

Heating. will be the one and only Flexwatt. Now should 1) run 11'' it down the back in one long line. or 2) run a foot long 11'' to each level. and wire it one to another till the end and Make it so One wire Controls it all.

When is it too warm! Flexwatt i know can get SUPER HOT. and i was thinking about using a Ranco ETC-111000 Pre Wired for controlling that heat. what are the odds since the flexwatt will be on wood. or laying on the plasic/wood of it burning? Even if its run down the back in one line. is it safe?

Old 10-03-2008, 01:04 AM   #2
Rich in KY
I can't help you, but it is good to see you back on. You had disappeared for a while.

Old 10-03-2008, 01:06 AM   #3
darkmorning1
lol yeah i was reptile hunting but am out of room! lol going to build a rack and then sell my big snake one you know? And with that add more snakes ( ; peek a boo btw is almost 300 grams now!

Old 10-03-2008, 01:09 AM   #4
Rich in KY
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmorning1 View Post
lol yeah i was reptile hunting but am out of room! lol going to build a rack and then sell my big snake one you know? And with that add more snakes ( ; peek a boo btw is almost 300 grams now!
WOW! We need updated pics!

Old 10-03-2008, 01:10 AM   #5
darkmorning1
lol i will soon, right now she is in shed. She will need too look shinny for her new photos

Old 10-03-2008, 01:12 AM   #6
Rich in KY
I can't wait to see her!

Old 10-03-2008, 07:30 AM   #7
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Melamine is going to be my first bet. but if they don't have it. some kind of wood is next in line. and from there i either want to stain the wood. or paint it Black. Ok with me so far?
I'm not a fan of melamine at all. It's heavy, will warp (it's nothing but coated particle board), will bow...Not my cup of tea to have to replace racks every couple years. My wooden racks have been built out of cabinet grade plywood. I have successfully used MinWax Stain & Seal in the wooden racks. Keep in mind that cheap wood will stain badly.

Quote:
Heating. will be the one and only Flexwatt. Now should 1) run 11'' it down the back in one long line. or 2) run a foot long 11'' to each level. and wire it one to another till the end and Make it so One wire Controls it all.
On bins 15qt and smaller I use back heat, anything larger I use belly heat. I'm not sure what temperatures are in your area, but if I didn't have belly heat on the larger bins, they would not be warm enough during the winter.

Quote:
what are the odds since the flexwatt will be on wood. or laying on the plasic/wood of it burning? Even if its run down the back in one line. is it safe?
All's I can say is that it can happen. If anyone tells you differently, they're full of it. I've had it happen, Clay Davenport's had it happen, others have had it happen. Not trying to discourage you in the least of using FlexWatt (I still use it); just be careful when wiring it, use a good thermostat (I'm a fan of Helix personally), get a good min/max digital thermometer, and if something doesn't look/smell right in the room, immediately check the FlexWatt.

Old 10-03-2008, 11:41 AM   #8
darkmorning1
this might sound crazy but has anyone made a thermostat, that Shuts off when is see's the temp is over whatever you set it at. .like you set it at 80 and then a shutt off at 98f....Anyone think/make something like that?

Old 10-11-2008, 11:24 AM   #9
Widget
Hubby is planning on something like that. It's going to be some sort of "over-temp" fuse as a safeguard against stat failure. I'm not sure how he's planning on wiring it or anything though. I leave that sort of stuff to him.

Once I get my rack to the point we're putting the flexwatt in I'll try to get better instructions.

Old 10-11-2008, 11:30 AM   #10
darkmorning1
i did build a rack and i got a thermostat. i like it a lot. you set it to a temp it will get there. but when it goes higher then what you set it. it shuts its self off. and when it goes back. it will turn back on

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google