CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

Making sure my snakes get enough heat when feeding

Old 08-06-2017, 10:57 PM   #1
tateerrzz
Making sure my snakes get enough heat when feeding

Hi,
I am a new snake owner... I just bought two cornsnakes about a month ago. I've been feeding them about every 5-7 days. I feed them each in their own separate container and then slide them in their viv after their food goes down. The only problem is, both of them never stay on the warm side of their viv to digest they food, they always hide on the opposite side where there is no heat. I am worried that they are disturbing their digestion by not warming themselves up enough. Can anyone give me advice or suggestions please?

Old 08-06-2017, 11:27 PM   #2
kalel5011
It's all good. From what I read, a lot of snakes go to the cooler side. Just don't touch her, leave her alone for two days and make sure your tells are accurate. He'll know where to go when he needs.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Old 08-06-2017, 11:28 PM   #3
kalel5011
Temp, not tells

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Old 08-06-2017, 11:35 PM   #4
Karl_Mcknight
Quote:
Originally Posted by tateerrzz View Post
Hi,
I am a new snake owner... I just bought two cornsnakes about a month ago. I've been feeding them about every 5-7 days. I feed them each in their own separate container and then slide them in their viv after their food goes down. The only problem is, both of them never stay on the warm side of their viv to digest they food, they always hide on the opposite side where there is no heat. I am worried that they are disturbing their digestion by not warming themselves up enough. Can anyone give me advice or suggestions please?
1. Are they in the same cage?
2. What is/are the temp(s) on the cool side and warm side?

Generally I would say if the temps are correct and both snakes have their own homes, not to worry, they know what they are doing. But if the temps are not right, or the snakes are in the same cage, you may have a problem.

Old 08-06-2017, 11:46 PM   #5
Em.Mo.Clark
Hello tateerrzz! I'm a new snake owner too! I've fed my snake a whopping two times already From my perspective, I wouldn't worry about it. If they understand where the heat is, they'll go to it if they need it. Be sure to give them space when they're digesting and to not handle them for 24-48 hours after feeding, in order to make them most comfortable and feel at ease as they digest their meal.

But if you really think they are getting too cold over there, maybe place a heat lamp if you've got one (I suggest no more than a 60 watt bulb) over either the middle of the cage, or the cold side if it gets just freezing over there. However, I personally wouldn't do anything. The main thing is that your beauties are eating! That's fantastic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-07-2017, 03:42 PM   #6
DollysMom
Totally normal for them to not go to the warm side. Mine usually slither right into their warm hides but not always. I trust them. We just provide the proper environment. They decide how to use it.

I agree that each snake needs its own home; so if you are cohabbing, the sooner you separate them and give them their own homes, the better.

P.S. Welcome to the forum. Glad you are here!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google