CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Corn Snake Photo Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Corn Snake Photo Gallery Show them off! Post photos of your prizes and your favorities for everyone else to see and comment on.

Loopy's Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 08:41 PM   #181
kdickens
HaHa! I don't think it's a used condom. Why? Because it was rolled up too well! Loopy has to learn to 'unroll' it for me! I'll take him out tomorrow maybe and see just how shiny he is ... I'm sure he feels better after his eating/shedding night!

Old 09-18-2017, 08:52 PM   #182
Karl_Mcknight
Seriously though, I used to have a Boa and her sheds were like that all the time. She would always soak in her water bowl a day or 2 before her shed and they came off all rolled up like that. They were also very damp. Perhaps Loopy had a good soak before his shed? Did it feel sort of wet?

Old 09-19-2017, 01:05 AM   #183
kdickens
Karl ... I was wondering about that! Yes, it did feel damp which kind of surprised me too. Strange thing is, I've never seen Loopy in his water dish except to drink. Doesn't mean he didn't do it, cause he probably did being his shed was damp. Good call!

Old 09-20-2017, 08:07 PM   #184
kdickens
After Loopy's shed a couple days ago I bothered him for a couple photos! He wasn't all that happy about it, but as usual he was a trooper and put up with it!

Old 09-20-2017, 08:22 PM   #185
DollysMom
Loopy looks very happy in his tree. Great pictures, Ken.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:56 PM   #186
Karl_Mcknight
I agree, he looks very happy. In fact I see a distinct smile in that 2nd picture.

Old 10-05-2017, 04:35 PM   #187
kdickens
Today was chow day! Also vitals were taken.
He's 3 ft 2 in! And his weight ... well, gee whiz ... after several feedings he's gained one gram. Now 269 g. What's that all about? Maybe a glitch in the scale or scale user?
Maybe it's a correct weight and he really did just 'maintain' his weight?
He's not skinny and he hasn't LOST weight. I've been feeding him 'small' mice and the next size up will be adult mice. But I have a bunch of these and don't want to pitch them. It seems like feeding him two of these would be too much.
I'll have to weigh them I guess. Also ... major clean up day! I tossed in a flannel shirt of mine and put the lid on his feeding bin. While he ate I cleaned up!

Old 10-05-2017, 05:31 PM   #188
Karl_Mcknight
Probably not a glitch. They definitely "Slow Down" in their growing process as they get older. Rufus has weighed pretty much the same now for the past 3 or 4 months. And I have fed him probably 10 or 12 times and he has shed twice, yet he still weighs about the same. (He actually lost a few grams last shed because he didn't eat.)

We get used to them growing fast as babies. I suspect Rufus is about as big as he will get. Having said that, maybe 10 years from now he will be a foot longer and 200 grams heavier, but that's hardly even noticeable in a month to month basis.

Old 10-05-2017, 05:45 PM   #189
DollysMom
Loopy looks wonderful! I love his “boomerangs” so much. His color is outstanding.

I agree two are too much. How often are you feeding? Unless you are already feeding every 7 days you can drop down to that if you like, and he wants to eat that often

Cleo lost with her last shed, too. She was 277 and went back down to 272. She’s eating a 15 gram mouse every 8 days. She didn’t seem to be getting enough at every 10 or 12 days.

Mandy eats one of those same size mice every 10 to 12 days to maintain her weight of 550 to 575. Each snake is different.

Old 10-05-2017, 07:49 PM   #190
kdickens
Karl and Gail ... thanks!
I was kinda concerned, but now a bit more at ease. He eats about every 8 or 9 days and once in a while when I'm not watching the calendar close enough maybe 10 days. I figure since snakes can go a month or two a missed day here or there won't hurt too much, as in the wild food doesn't just appear every 7 days! I just checked on him and he's under his log(s) on the warm side all curled up. I used to only have one cork round (split) in his viv but after cleaning today used the other half to make a long hide. I think that was a Karl idea!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google