CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Deb's Den
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Deb's Den Welcome! Here you will find photos of my snakes, breeding plans, snakes for sale, etc. Plus, some general conversation, sharing, &/or discussion.

Dilute Info, Photos, & Discussion

Old 06-09-2009, 03:11 AM   #1
Pasodama
Dilute Info, Photos, & Discussion

This thread has been created in an effort to give people more understanding/knowledge, of the Dilute gene/morphs, and, hopefully, so we can, all, learn more.
Updates will be added if/when needed.

I do invite others to discuss the Dilute gene/morphs and to share any first hand observations, facts, and photos.

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Dilute was first discovered/noticed in Anery Motleys, which exhibited a "blueish" black/grey color (rather than the "warmer" tones of browns, etc.), typically had a reduction of melanin, and an enhancement of any pinks, etc.
They were coined as "Blue Motleys".
Due to, also, having a "softened" look (for lack of a better description at this time), some would say that the "Blue Motley" almost had the appearance of a snake in shed (a description that I do not particularly care for since Dilutes don't, actually, look like a snake that is in blue). Others said/say that it is as if the pigment does not quite reach the skin's surface layer (this seems to be a more appropriate description than is the other).

For a long time, people believed that Dilute only existed (or could exist) in Anery based morphs ... some folks still do believe this. However, it is not so.
Dilute can be carried by, and can be combined with, other morphs as well.
Aside from Anery based morphs, and since the time of first recognition (of Dilute),... Dilute Classic, Dilute Caramel, Dilute Charcoal, & Dilute Hypo (just to mention some off the top of my head) have also been produced.
I have no doubt that other morphs (than these listed) can carry/exhibit Dilute as well.
With time, we are very likely to see more Dilute morphs produced.

With Dilute, there are affects, that are "hypo like", but ... there may be more going on than its being a Hypo gene.
More is being learned every day.

However, here are some facts about Dilute:
- Dilute acts as a simple recessive.
- Dilutes shed skins that are pigment free (akin to the shed skins of Amels).
- When in blue, Dilutes have a somewhat milky opacity to their bodies (such as as you see with Amels).
- Dilute hatchlings are a paler/lighter color, or more hypo-like, than are equivalent morph, but non-Dilute, hatchlings.

It, also, seems/appears that Dilute:
- Causes a reduction of melanin (to varying degrees).
- Causes an enhancement to such light colors as pink (perhaps due to reduction of melanin?).
- Can affect the expression of pigment ... a suppression (to varying degrees - mild to heavily, or partial to complete), of some color, from reaching parts of the skin's surface (giving a unique look).

Old 06-09-2009, 03:13 AM   #2
Pasodama
I want to add the following about Dilute Classics.
Not only because they are non-Anery but, also, because observations can be made upon ventral patterns/colors (unlike those of Motleys, etc., who have plain, unpatterned, ventrums).

These are some observations, that I have made, with my own Dilute Classics &/or others I may have seen:

- Borders are thin and are of a dark charcoal, to grey, color ... with some portions, amidst the charcoal/grey, that are black (or appear black).
- There is a high reduction (or elimination) of black, on their ventrums, and, what little there may be, is located along the edge/s of reddish ventral checkers (checkers are more of a "light yellow" color near the neck - with a very small section, being of an orangish <or red-orange> color, where it transitions from the "light yellow" checkers to the "reddish" checkers).
Of what black there is, along the edges of checkers, some might be of an actual black color but much is more of a charcoal, or grey, color.
Edit to add: The ventral checkers could, also, transition from the "light yellow" to an orangish, or red-orange, color for the rest of the snake's length (rather than transitioning to a reddish color following the orange/red-orange checkers).
- They lack a melanin wash, &/or melanin stripes, on their bodies.
- Saddles are of a "cooler", or more rusty/burgundy, color (rather than a "warm" red/orange color) and may, or may not, have some spots of reduced color (akin to frosting). However, a "warmer" coloring may be found (perhaps) on the saddles at the very fore section of the snake.
- The ground color is "light" and can be anywhere from slightly "washed out" to quite "washed out" (washed out = reduction of color)... especially in the latter 2/3rds of the snake. On those that are quite "washed out", it can give an almost marble like appearance.
- After hatching, they were fairly easy to distinguish, amidst their Classic/Normal siblings, due their more "hypo like" appearance.

This, of course, is only a small sample base, of Dilute Classics, to go on. So, I am just offering it as general info.

Also want to add the following since it is said (or has been said in the past) that "warm" tones (such as browns) are not exhibited in Anery based Dilutes:

- My Dilute Ghost Motleys (and some others) have a lot of pink, to their ground color, but do exhibit some warmer coloring (peaches & browns) to their saddles.

In the next few posts, I am adding some more info, etc., on Dilutes.

Old 06-09-2009, 03:21 AM   #3
Pasodama
Here are some comparisons between some Dilute, & non-Dilute, hatchlings (more along the line of "charts" but would like to, eventually, have some side by side photo comparisons).
Keep in mind that ... as with all morphs, there can be some variety within the same morph. Thus, not every hatchling will look 100% identical to the ones shown in the following "charts" (sorry that the photo quality may not be the very best).
Also keep in mind that a better comparison is IRL, since photos don't always catch everything, but this is to just give some idea.

Old 06-09-2009, 03:25 AM   #4
Pasodama
I did a shed/skin comparison between a Normal (Miami), a Dilute Classic, a Hypo Motley, and an Amel (all four are/were youngsters).

Keep in mind that the Amel's skin is just a wee bit larger, than the other three, and, so, the scales/spacings are a tad larger (imagine a group of small windows, vs. the same amount of windows that are just a bit bigger, and the different visual effects they could bring).

All three pics were taken under different lighting conditions ... with the 3rd photo having light going through the paper that the skins are attached to.

- Dilute Classic's skin lacks pigment.
- Compared to the regular Classic/Normal, there is a very notable difference.
- Compared to the Hypo Motley, some difference can be noted (although melanin is quite reduced, it can still be seen in the Hypo Motley skin).
- Compared to the Amel, there is no outstanding difference between it and the Dilute's skin.

Old 06-09-2009, 03:29 AM   #5
Pasodama
Here are a couple of comparison photos between a Dilute Classic yearling and three different, regular (non-Dilute), Classic yearlings:

Old 06-09-2009, 03:35 AM   #6
Pasodama
Here are a couple of photos of a Dilute Classic in blue/shed (although the photos are of one Dilute Classic, this occurs with all).
Not the most excellent pics but ... note that the snake has a somewhat milky opacity to its skin (can, better, be seen on the head). This is akin to an Amel, and quite different from what occurs with regular (non-Dilute) Classics, when in blue/shed.

Old 06-09-2009, 03:40 AM   #7
Pasodama
Here are a couple of ventral shots of two different Dilute Classics.
Will add a ventral shot, of a third Dilute Classic, after she sheds ... though her ventrum is similar (and, hopefully, I may add some full ventral shots as well).

Edit: Third ventral shot (taken on 06-09-09) added of a third Dilute Classic.

Old 06-09-2009, 03:41 AM   #8
Pasodama
I do plan on adding photos, of my Dilutes, as soon as I am able to find the time to take photos (and, of course, at a time when an individual Dilute is not in shed/blue).

Old 06-09-2009, 08:10 AM   #9
Walter Smith
AWESOME THREAD !!!
Very informative and very well put together.

Looking forward to seeing your Dilute Caramel..

Walter,
BOUT' CORNS !!

Old 06-09-2009, 08:58 PM   #10
Pasodama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Smith View Post
AWESOME THREAD !!!
Very informative and very well put together.
Thanks, glad you like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Smith View Post
Looking forward to seeing your Dilute Caramel..
I wish one were mine.
Was hoping to hatch some (or even one) out, this year, but ... have had some very uncooperative intended parents.
I didn't brumate them so, hopefully, brumating, this winter, will have them in the mood for 2010.
Will give them one, or two, more shots (this year) but, if it doesn't work out ... then 2010 it will be.

Love your Dilute Anery Blood (Motley?)! Just gorgeous!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google