CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

First time snake owner. Loving it!

Old 08-22-2015, 07:25 PM   #21
XenDrgn
It is possible for a snake that young to be that size as their growth can be directly related to their feedings and their birth weight. Also, when weighing such small things, a little goes a long way and a 3g error is a pretty big difference!

That being said, I do not know my snake's birthdate, but she is about 14in/14g so weight for length seems pretty average. That being said, from what i've been told snakes can and will eat when given a chance, even if they aren't necessarily hungry. And feeding too much too often can lead to obesity and health problem. But a one time over feeding also shouldn't hurt since it looks like they made it through without regurging.

In reference to the color, what I can offer is this, since this is what I was told in reguards to my own snake because I wondered if she might actually be a candycane:

Candy Cane is essentially another name for a Diffused Amelanistic. Diffused patterned snakes have little to no belly pattern/checkers. Plus, from the picture, it looks like he's already starting to pick up his oranges along the sides.

Old 08-22-2015, 07:38 PM   #22
Haight
Quote:
Originally Posted by XenDrgn View Post
It is possible for a snake that young to be that size as their growth can be directly related to their feedings and their birth weight. Also, when weighing such small things, a little goes a long way and a 3g error is a pretty big difference!

That being said, I do not know my snake's birthdate, but she is about 14in/14g so weight for length seems pretty average. That being said, from what i've been told snakes can and will eat when given a chance, even if they aren't necessarily hungry. And feeding too much too often can lead to obesity and health problem. But a one time over feeding also shouldn't hurt since it looks like they made it through without regurging.

In reference to the color, what I can offer is this, since this is what I was told in reguards to my own snake because I wondered if she might actually be a candycane:

Candy Cane is essentially another name for a Diffused Amelanistic. Diffused patterned snakes have little to no belly pattern/checkers. Plus, from the picture, it looks like he's already starting to pick up his oranges along the sides.
Slinky definitely has a checkered belly. It is actually almost perfect all the way down. Makes my OCD side very happy.

Old 08-22-2015, 07:42 PM   #23
XenDrgn
According to someone on another thred that we're both watching they said the candy canes aren't diffused. So I dunno. I can seem to get a straight answer myself other than wait til they've reached adult size. (cause otherwise i have not been able to find anyone who can tel me the difference in looks between a baby amel and baby candy cane)

Old 08-22-2015, 07:44 PM   #24
Haight
Quote:
According to someone on another thred that we're both watching they said the candy canes aren't diffused. So I dunno. I can seem to get a straight answer myself other than wait til they've reached adult size. (cause otherwise i have not been able to find anyone who can tel me the difference in looks between a baby amel and baby candy cane)
It is pretty interesting because Slinky looks almost exactly like a few adult reverse okeetees that I found pictures of, yet reverse okeetees look nothing like him as hatchlings. Why can't they just keep the same pattern and colors for life?!?

Old 08-22-2015, 07:50 PM   #25
Dragonling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haight View Post
I should've waited to post all at once...so many questions.
Is it possible that Slinky is a Reverse Okeetee?
I was looking through Ivan's Viv website and that is the morph that seems to fit him best. Can anyone confirm this?
If his parents weren't Okeetee, then no. He looks like a standard amel to me. Even with his candycane parentage, he will probably hang on to a lot of that yellow/orange (likely thanks to his sire), so he wouldn't be considered a candycane either. Regardless, I bet he's going to be a lovely boy.

(edit)
A candycane is a selectively bred amel with very white background colors and bright red saddles. It's a polygenetic trait that isn't as easily passed on as a simple recessive gene.

Old 08-22-2015, 08:06 PM   #26
Haight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonling View Post
If his parents weren't Okeetee, then no. He looks like a standard amel to me. Even with his candycane parentage, he will probably hang on to a lot of that yellow/orange (likely thanks to his sire), so he wouldn't be considered a candycane either. Regardless, I bet he's going to be a lovely boy.

(edit)
A candycane is a selectively bred amel with very white background colors and bright red saddles. It's a polygenetic trait that isn't as easily passed on as a simple recessive gene.
Thanks for that. Standard Amel it is. Is it likely that he will keep the red saddles as an adult?

Old 08-22-2015, 10:25 PM   #27
XenDrgn
In amels, I believe the red saddles stay, its just the white slowly converts to orange. (and the translucents stay)

Old 08-22-2015, 10:27 PM   #28
Haight
Quote:
In amels, I believe the red saddles stay, its just the white slowly converts to orange. (and the translucents stay)
I sure hope so. The red was the main reason that we chose him.

Old 08-22-2015, 10:49 PM   #29
MysticExotics
Quote:
I'll do that. How long after feeding him two pinkies should I wait to hold handle him in order to provide him the proper time to digest? In other words, how long until I can be sure that he won't regurge?
I would give him at least two days, maybe three before handling him.
With the extra large meal he recently had, I'd go 3-4 days, but it will be a little bit before he is ready for two pinks.

Quote:
Spoke with the breeder again today, and I was able to determine that the parents were a female candycane and a male amel. Does that mean that it is possible that Slinky shows traits of a candycane? I've seen the male, and he is mostly orange with very dull red spots. Should I expect Slinky to look like him when he is an adult?
As explained in the other thread, Candycane is only a line bred Amel. Often, Miami's will be bred into Amels to get Candycane babies, because they lack the orange ground color.
If a Candycane is paired with a regular Amel, the babies will likely look "Candycane-ish", but will probably have more of the Amel coloring.

Quote:
I should've waited to post all at once...so many questions.
Is it possible that Slinky is a Reverse Okeetee?
I was looking through Ivan's Viv website and that is the morph that seems to fit him best. Can anyone confirm this?
A RO is another line bred Amel, that is bred to have thick, white borders. Yours does not have the borders of an RO.

I went back and checked records on one of my babies, that hatched out at 9 grams, which is pretty good sized for hatchling Cornsnakes, and it was 10 feedings (more than 2 months) before she reached 14 grams. No regurges, no refused meals.

Old 08-22-2015, 10:52 PM   #30
Haight
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticExotics View Post
I would give him at least two days, maybe three before handling him.
With the extra large meal he recently had, I'd go 3-4 days, but it will be a little bit before he is ready for two pinks.

As explained in the other thread, Candycane is only a line bred Amel. Often, Miami's will be bred into Amels to get Candycane babies, because they lack the orange ground color.
If a Candycane is paired with a regular Amel, the babies will likely look "Candycane-ish", but will probably have more of the Amel coloring.

A RO is another line bred Amel, that is bred to have thick, white borders. Yours does not have the borders of an RO.

I went back and checked records on one of my babies, that hatched out at 9 grams, which is pretty good sized for hatchling Cornsnakes, and it was 10 feedings (more than 2 months) before she reached 14 grams. No regurges, no refused meals.
Thanks for all of the info. I must say I am thoroughly enjoying learning about corn snakes. Regardless of Slinky's morph, I am in love. I can't wait to take him out tomorrow! Tomorrow will have been 96 hours since his feeding. Is there a "time limit" on handling hatch-ling snakes daily as to not induce too much stress?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google