CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Should you keep 2 corn snakes together?

Old 01-02-2017, 12:52 PM   #1
Patmart
Should you keep 2 corn snakes together?

I was thinking about getting a friend for my 12 week old amel
Some people say no others say it's ok
I am confused just wanted to know what you thought

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 01-03-2017, 01:49 PM   #2
GitaBooks
I would suggest not keeping the snakes together year-round, though with a large enough enclosure and enough places to hide and bask it should be fine. I got a female for our male, Jack (her name is Jill) because he became so desperate for a mate in the spring that he wouldn't eat and paced for hours, trying to escape and rubbing his snout. We put him in with her for a few weeks or until it is time to eat again, and they seem quite happy. Other then that, I don't think they gain much from one another's company.

Having two snakes is a lot of fun though! : )

Old 01-03-2017, 04:30 PM   #3
Dragonling
Quote:
Originally Posted by GitaBooks View Post
I would suggest not keeping the snakes together year-round, though with a large enough enclosure and enough places to hide and bask it should be fine. I got a female for our male, Jack (her name is Jill) because he became so desperate for a mate in the spring that he wouldn't eat and paced for hours, trying to escape and rubbing his snout. We put him in with her for a few weeks or until it is time to eat again, and they seem quite happy. Other then that, I don't think they gain much from one another's company.

Having two snakes is a lot of fun though! : )
This is a really controversial opinion in the reptile world, and I hope you don't think me rude, but I kind of see this as somewhat on par with the folks who try to find a mate for their dog before getting it neutered/spayed so it can experience parenthood. It's not honestly benefiting either animal to any measurable extent, and in fact you could argue the opposite for the female considering the stress of being pestered by the male, pregnancy, egg laying, and the risk of eggbinding which can lead to major surgery and even death. In the end it just makes more common babies that are already seen as fairly cheap disposable pets. It's a shame that many males go through this every spring, some even injuring themselves in an attempt to escape to find a mate, but I'm not sure it's fair to the female to pass the problem along?

Old 01-03-2017, 06:25 PM   #4
GitaBooks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonling View Post
This is a really controversial opinion in the reptile world, and I hope you don't think me rude, but I kind of see this as somewhat on par with the folks who try to find a mate for their dog before getting it neutered/spayed so it can experience parenthood. It's not honestly benefiting either animal to any measurable extent, and in fact you could argue the opposite for the female considering the stress of being pestered by the male, pregnancy, egg laying, and the risk of eggbinding which can lead to major surgery and even death. In the end it just makes more common babies that are already seen as fairly cheap disposable pets. It's a shame that many males go through this every spring, some even injuring themselves in an attempt to escape to find a mate, but I'm not sure it's fair to the female to pass the problem along?
You make good points. : )

I guess it depends on the snakes. Jill laid eggs this year, but none of them hatched and most of them weren't fertile anyways.
While she seemed a little frustrated with Jack when they were first introduced, she also seemed to do a lot of flirting (strange as that sounds). She would run away and then sneak up behind him and then slither past him. He is so slow he couldn't keep up with it all and tended to stare at the wall, trying to understand what was happening.

Old 01-03-2017, 09:50 PM   #5
The Cat
Corn snakes are not very social animals, so they don't need a "friend" to keep them company like a dog or cat might. Cohabitation can have some pretty gruesome consequences, too, like one snake trying to eat the other, so I advise against it.

Old 01-04-2017, 10:51 AM   #6
Patmart
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cat View Post
Corn snakes are not very social animals, so they don't need a "friend" to keep them company like a dog or cat might. Cohabitation can have some pretty gruesome consequences, too, like one snake trying to eat the other, so I advise against it.

Thank you I am going to stay with my little man/ lady

Old 01-04-2017, 11:07 AM   #7
Nanci
We actually have a sticky about this subject.

But basically, how does cohabbing benefit your snake? It does not. How might it harm your snake? In multiple ways. What is the benefit of cohabbing, then? Only to the owner, only reduced cost (in purchasing more vivs) and you could keep more snakes in less space. So- it's pretty selfish to endanger your snake and cohab it. Many people will argue this- but- that's what it comes down to.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:37 AM   #8
Patmart
My two getting on fine

Old 08-18-2017, 12:06 PM   #9
Shiari
Your two are competing for space in that hide. They are not 'snuggling'. They are competing.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:08 PM   #10
Patmart
They lie together out of the hide so don't agree
Pat x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google