CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Female laid 9 eggs, concerned...

Old 05-30-2017, 10:10 PM   #1
JohnnyK
Female laid 9 eggs, concerned...

Hi All,

My 5 year old female, for the first time I can recall, has laid eggs. I found two in the open the other day, and thought that was it. Tonight, I lifted up this hiding rock tower thing she was coiled up in and was shocked to find 7 more. Perhaps my mistake, I assumed these were all slugs as she has not been with any other snake. I used a plastic spoon to remove them and put them in a red plastic cup where they sit now. She just stayed coiled up in this rock thing and only moved a little when I tilted it back. In reading online quickly, shocked to learn these eggs could eventually hatch? She hasn't eaten in about 5-6 weeks, now I know why. How do you know if the eggs are slugs?

Is there anything I should do right now? Her skin looks a little milky to me, like she could be getting ready to shed, not 100% sure though. I'd like to feed her, but not with her lack of activity, plus, I don't know, will I find more eggs tomorrow possibly? Any tips or input would be great.

Thanks.

Old 06-02-2017, 04:53 PM   #2
Nanci
If the female hasn't been with a male, ever, the chances are a million to one the eggs are not fertile. Never say never, though. She's probably going blue after laying the eggs. It's okay to offer her a small meal, like a weanling or a hopper, which she may or may not accept. You can feel her belly for more eggs by placing her on the floor and letting her crawl between your thumb and fingers, pressing gently into her belly. Slugs are smaller, though, and sometimes you can miss them. If the eggs were laid in a clutch, she's probably done. She might do this again next year. You might be able to discourage her by feeding her less for a couple months leading up to this date. She's probably lost about 100 grams or so now, and it's okay to feed her weekly until she gets back to her pre-lay weight.

Old 06-04-2017, 10:38 PM   #3
JohnnyK
Thanks Nanci for the tips and advice! In looking, she's going to be shedding in the next few days. Then, she'll be ready to finally eat, it's been a while.

Old 06-06-2017, 08:14 PM   #4
Ms.Ivory
Mine laid eggs also she just turned about 2 years old. You can tell slugs because they are an oringeish color. Eggs are generally white. After laying she will have a post shed. Mine accepted 2 hoppers after the post shed. But what I thought was weird was she ate them alive! I know it sounds terrible! It sort of is. But anyway I wondered why she did that. Too weak? or Tired? Maybe they were too small and she figured what the heck. No clue.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google