CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Light questions and issues

Old 07-28-2017, 09:18 PM   #11
hector.4191
Oh man we don't have them here in the USA lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-30-2017, 09:26 AM   #12
Dragonling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post
a heat mat will never start a fire or burn anything if it's properly regulated with a thermostat.

Any Heat source should have a thermostat including heat lamps, bulbs, etc. They are more likely to start fires as most bulbs get hotter than the heat pads do.

A typical heat pad (unregulated) will hit 95 to 150 degrees depending on brand and size. A bulb on the otherhand gets so hot if you touch it, you get blistered instantly. (400 degrees or more).

Most corn snake owners frown on bulbs and opt for a heat pad with a thermostat. The fact your cage is made of wood makes no difference.
In the case of wooden vivs, there is a significantly greater risk of fire if there is not a sufficient air gap between the mat and either the underside of the viv or the surface it's placed on. This is because wood is a fair bit more insulating than glass or plastic and can trap heat much more quickly if not properly ventilated. In the (albeit unlikely) event of a thermostat failure, this becomes a significant risk.

Old 07-30-2017, 10:08 AM   #13
Karl_Mcknight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonling View Post
In the case of wooden vivs, there is a significantly greater risk of fire if there is not a sufficient air gap between the mat and either the underside of the viv or the surface it's placed on. This is because wood is a fair bit more insulating than glass or plastic and can trap heat much more quickly if not properly ventilated. In the (albeit unlikely) event of a thermostat failure, this becomes a significant risk.
I understand where you're coming from and agree in theory, but the physics still states that wood needs about 350 degrees to combust. Some of those heat pads get hot enough to be unsafe for an animal but I've never seen one reach 300 degrees even without a thermostat.

I have 2 of them in use right now and a third as a standby and I've checked all 3 by plugging them in for several hours and none of them hit over 127 degrees. In fact the smaller of the 3 only hit 106 degrees. (Of course I use a thermostat on any and all). Bulbs on the other hand will get hot enough to start a fire. I have been blistered before just by touching a bulb for a split second, but I have never been even slightly burned by a pad.

Old 08-09-2017, 04:02 PM   #14
jet_set_willy
I use the vivexotic glass heat mat holders and Microclimate EVO Thermostat to control the mats and lights

20170809_204044 by Bryan OHara, on Flickr

20170809_204058 by Bryan OHara, on Flickr

Old 08-09-2017, 07:54 PM   #15
Reptile Lover 23
I use the STC-1000 for a thermostat for my hatchlings and adults and lizards

heres a link LINK

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google