CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

New Snake Feeding Problems

Old 08-24-2017, 05:24 PM   #1
FlyingScales
Unhappy New Snake Feeding Problems

Hello everyone!

My dad got me a snow corn snake 8/16, and I named her Leia. The people at the pet store I guess didn't have any paperwork on her, so I am guessing that she is around 5 months old. I have anxiety issues in general and my concern is that I haven't able to get her to eat since I have had her.

Her warm side is at 85 and the cool side stays around 73. She has a hide on both sides, in the middle, as well as a lot of fake grass to climb and hide in along the back. She is usually hiding in the cool side during the day, and starts exploring when I turn the lights in my room off.

She was due to eat the day my dad brought her home, and the lady at the pet store said she has been eating f/t pinkies and to try in a few days. She refused food on the 19th, 20th, and the 23rd.

I have tried feeding her in her cage, in a separate container with the lights off, as well as braining the pinkies. She just doesn't seem interested in them and just wants to crawl on my arms and explore. She doesn't act sick or anything, I am just really worried because I don't want anything bad to happen to her, and I don't want her to be hungry.

Sorry for the long post, and thank you for taking the time to read!

Old 08-24-2017, 08:49 PM   #2
Karl_Mcknight
There are lots of reasons a snake might not eat:

Incorrect temps, Too nervous or bothered, Illness, Not Settled in to its new Home, About to Shed, Doesn't like the food or the way it's being offered.

If you're sure the snake is not ill, then most likely it's Not settled in yet (since it is a new snake) or it's about to shed. (Many snakes refuse to eat before or during a shed).

Most of the folks around here suggest when you obtain a new snake, you place it in its new home and leave it alone for 2 weeks. No handling, no feeding, just let the snake acclimate to its new area.

The fact that your snake has not eaten in 8 days is nothing to worry about. A healthy snake can go 3 or 4 months (perhaps even longer) without food. My snake once didn't eat for 5 weeks. Then he shed and went right back to eating as if it was nothing.

It's no big deal. Don't pressure the snake. Leave it alone for a week or 2 and try again.

Make sure the temps are right, provide plenty of fresh water, keep the cat, the dog, and the annoying kids away from the snake and just let it be. (If you don't have a cat or dog or annoying kids, disregard that last point). The point is, you probably would not feel like eating either if there was some 40 foot tall monster leaning over you and picking you up and moving you about.

Old 08-25-2017, 02:59 PM   #3
Nanci
I'd let her sit and settle in for a week- no handling. Then I'd feed her in a VERY small plastic container, like a deli cup. In the evening. I'd thaw the pink in water as hot as it will go. I'd cut several shallow slits from the skull down through the back.Then I'd put the super-hot pink in with her, put a dishtowel over the deli, and let her sit for an hour with no peeking. If she hasn't eaten, I'd reheat and try again overnight.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:45 PM   #4
FlyingScales
Thank you so much for replying! I will give her more time to get settled in.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:24 PM   #5
FlyingScales
Sorry, I have one more question. Tonight when I turned the lights off she only came out of her hide for a few seconds and then went back in and curled up. Could she be getting ready to shed?

Old 08-26-2017, 06:10 AM   #6
Karl_Mcknight
yes. The shedding process can take several weeks and it usually begins with the snake "Hiding" more than usual.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google