• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

finding corns in florida??

c_win

corn luver
Im going to florida this chrismas with my fiance for a week to visit my family for a day and do whatever for the rest. I'll be in sarasota for a couple days and orlando for the rest of the week. I was thinking about looking around for corn snakes down there just for fun. (not to keep) How easy is it to find them down there and where are good places to look for them? Any tips would be helpful!

I tend to find them whenever I'm not looking for them, plus they like to get into my rodent colony on the back porch. Unfortunately, you'll be here at the time of year when they will all be brumating and very difficult to find.

i spent two summers...

in florida and ran into snakes on a forest park trail several times a week. this was before i was as into snakes as i am now. there's a lot of venomous snakes in florida and at that time i was never sure which were a danger to me (other than coral and ratter) so i just looked at them from a distance. on two occasions i came upon cornsnakes, i almost stepped on one when i was talking to my friend, i managed to hop over it when she alerted me by going "aaah aaah aaah" which was very entertaining. this was in cassia, florida, 45 minutes south of orlando. because i wasn't actually searching for snakes at the time, i'm not really sure where to tell you to look. if you take a hike in the woods though you might just almost step on some like i did :)

:sidestep:

Aw, I forgot they will be in burmation.. Oh well.. just thought it would be nice to see one in the wild :)

I have absolutely no idea but....

the hubby and myself are coming to Florida for 15 days for New Year so if you find any give us a shout lol

I was going to post a simular question. I'm going to Orlando in january and was going to ask if the can be found in winter there. I still wonder if on a warmer then usual day there may be some out and about looking for water or whatever.

Hi, Are there any corn snakes in California? We were just wondering? We do have loads of kings.
Thanks!
Penney ;)

In CA there is a bull/corn mix that is native due to a breeder releaseing them. It was in the newspapers big time back in early 90's. If I can find the clipping I'll Post exactly what it said. The only reason I know is cause my older brother's house was raided by about 3 of them and he lives in Southern CA.

wish some snakes would put a raid on my house.
corn x bullsnake? that must of been one hurting corn after the act. but then I do know about gopher corns and thats kind of strange too.

Corn snakes are pretty common just about everywhere in FL. I don't find them often where I live, as it's residential and really built up, but they do pretty well in habitat that is not too disturbed. I never go looking for them, I just find them here and there, usually when looking for other snakes. Corn snakes are nocturnal, so they usually are not found out and about during the day. They are commonly seen crossing roads in rural areas at night, but during the winter it's usually too cold for this. If I wanted to find corns during the winter, I'd probably go looking under trash in rural areas with a few residences. It's not uncommon to find illegal trash dumps out in the "middle of nowhere", especially if there are people living nearby. It's all about luck, though... it's very easy to go through a lot of effort and not find a single snake.

Back