CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Classifieds Section > Other Animals and Related Items Wanted
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Other Animals and Related Items Wanted Any other types of animals, plus caging, feeders, etc, WANTED can be posted within this area.

ISO "blue phase" smooth green snake

Old 11-23-2015, 12:59 PM   #1
Dragonling
ISO "blue phase" smooth green snake

Looking for a bit of a rare oddity, an exceptionally blue smooth green snake (Opheodrys vernalis). Sex, locality, and whether it's CB or WC doesn't matter... I'd expect most O. vernalis to be WC anyway. A pair would be ideal but I think I have a better chance of finding a unicorn. My last lead was the Virginia Living Museum, but the female they had unfortunately died a while back to unknown causes.

Alternatively, a blue Opheodrys aestivus (rough green) would be fantastic as well.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:46 PM   #2
backafter30
I'll second that. I'll take a Blue rough green as well. I would prefer a live one, please. (They turn blue when they die.) Jim

Old 11-23-2015, 11:32 PM   #3
daddio207
Quote:
Originally Posted by backafter30 View Post
I'll second that. I'll take a Blue rough green as well. I would prefer a live one, please. (They turn blue when they die.) Jim
Blues are very common in captivity due to their high death rate

All kidding aside, Dragonling, Why do rough or smooth green snakes interest you?

Even though they aren't on endangered or protected list they are protected in many states due to their collection for the pet trade.
Most die in captivity from stress but with a very large viv and a lot of cover some will survive. They are a very cool snake that sway in the wind and eat ,amongst other things, insects.
Just FYI for the other post readers since I'm sure you have researched them

Old 11-24-2015, 09:16 AM   #4
Dragonling
A smooth green snake I saw at a zoo was actually what sparked my interest in snakes to begin with. I was originally looking into getting one, but after reading that they were somewhat more advanced, I looked into corns instead.

That and I have a thing for peculiar oddities. I've only found photos from one person who had a blue green snake, and I believe it was caught and released somewhere in Colorado.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:31 AM   #5
daddio207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonling View Post
A smooth green snake I saw at a zoo was actually what sparked my interest in snakes to begin with. I was originally looking into getting one, but after reading that they were somewhat more advanced, I looked into corns instead.

That and I have a thing for peculiar oddities. I've only found photos from one person who had a blue green snake, and I believe it was caught and released somewhere in Colorado.
I scrolled through the pics of the blue green smooth snakes on that website and you will see a couple of pics of a few deceased specimens. It appears they used those deceased snakes for the close ups of what appears to be live blue green smooth snakes.

I am the same when it comes to oddities and uncommon reptiles. I am fascinated with them and search out all available that can be legally kept here in Maine. We have a very short list but there are a lot of oddball reptiles on it like the Caliber Borrowing Python(Boa) and Sunbeam snakes. I think fish and wildlife dept allows them on the list because nobody wants them !!
Another is the Blackhead Python that is $1200 to $3000. Someday I will have one.
The one thing I can guarantee with WC oddities (NOT corns, kings, pine, etc.) is that their survival rate is very low! I avoid WC almost no matter what now.
Now I stick with the more uncommon but CBB like Beauty Snakes, Trinket Snakes, Uromastyxs, Frilled lizards, and a few dozen other species.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:42 AM   #6
Dragonling
http://www.fieldherpforum.com/forum/...hp?f=2&t=12299 I dunno, the snake in the OP looks alive to me. I've also been in contact with the herpetology curator at the Virginia Living Museum (which was mentioned in that thread) who confirmed they did have an unusually blue specimen who unfortunately passed in 2013. I'm waiting to see if he has photos available.

(e) I attached some additional photos of the snake caught by Joe Farah.

Old 11-24-2015, 11:32 AM   #7
daddio207
Yeah it looks alive in that pic. I was looking at another site. I wonder about the "wound" by his hand though.
I guess the field herper didn't realize he had caught a "unicorn" LOL

Old 11-24-2015, 11:38 AM   #8
Dragonling
Yes, it's a shame. He even mentioned that someone else had caught a similar snake in the same region...perhaps it's time to take a trip to Colorado, if I could figure out where exactly that was! I attempted to contact Joe, but no luck in getting a response so far.

Old 11-24-2015, 12:41 PM   #9
daddio207
Some one on that forum mentioned seeing one here in Maine ! I'll start hunting for yah in about 7 months LOL

Old 11-26-2015, 12:45 AM   #10
backafter30
I read somewhere that someone in Georgia (I think) bred blue rough greens and sold them at local reptile shows, but not online. The writer who mentioned this said they hadn't seen the breeder in several years. Bummer.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google