CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Humidity

Old 08-20-2020, 11:56 PM   #1
flutterbyu
Humidity

I feel like this might be controversial, but I need to ask, is a humid hide or other methods to maintain humidity actually necessary for corn snakes? I ask, because I have never provided a humid hide, and none of my corn snakes have ever once had stuck shed or any problem shedding (the oldest is 7 years old now). I tend to spill a bit of water from the dish into the aspen when I refill it, but that’s it. I live in the pacific nw so it’s not super humid, but I guess not super dry either. Have I just gotten lucky, or is a humid hide really not needed for corns?

Old 08-20-2020, 11:59 PM   #2
hypnoctopus
It's generally not needed. I'm in Arizona and I don't even check my humidity and my snakes never have problematic sheds. I will recommend one to other people if their snake has had a bad shed previously or if they want to preemptively avoid a bad shed. But for the majority of corns, it is not needed. (Although they may 'enjoy' it, as much as they are capable of feeling enjoyment.)

Old 09-07-2020, 07:16 PM   #3
DeuceRon
To be honest, I always thought the same thing until both of my corns last sheds. They had a hard time with them and they came off in pieces. My male is in blue right now and I'm going to try to moisten up the area with a paper towel in his hide, just to see if it makes a difference.

Old 10-12-2020, 06:57 AM   #4
Joanna_H
I'm in the UK and my humidity naturally sits around 40-65. It varies from day to day. The only time I mess with the humidity is after he has come out of blue and is about to shed. I then increase it with light spraying to make his shed a little easier, just on the top of the viv, never on the substrate (aspen shavings.)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google