CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Alternating between frozen and live

Old 01-08-2021, 02:22 AM   #1
AneryOwner2020
Alternating between frozen and live

I just fed my baby corn his first live pinky. He's a little over 3 months old now and up to this point I fed him frozen. There is really just one pet store that sells live feeders within a 50 minute drive, and they get them in on Thursdays. I'm feeding him every five days, so some days I won't be able to get a live pinkie.

Is it okay to alternate between frozen on some days and live on other days? Or will this confuse my snake?

Old 01-08-2021, 10:13 AM   #2
hypnoctopus
Why do you want to feed him live at all?

Old 01-08-2021, 12:16 PM   #3
AneryOwner2020
It really just comes down to preference. I've done research with both sides to it and it's just something I'd like to feed him. My main concern was if alternative between frozen one day and live the next eating day would do him harm?

If it does, then more than likely I'll keep him on frozen for now since that's what's most available 5/7 days. I'm not driving an hour every time just for live at this point.

If it doesn't harm him to alternate it, then I'd still would be feeding him frozen 5/7 feeding days.

Old 01-08-2021, 02:08 PM   #4
hypnoctopus
The two main possible harms are that he may end up preferring live and refusing frozen thawed. The other big problem is that once he's eating mice larger than pinkies, they don't tend to just sit still and let themselves be eaten. Mice can easily injure and even kill your snake with a well placed bite. And supervising won't really help because it can happen extremely fast.

Of course there are other arguments against feeding live unnecessarily - mainly that it's horribly inhumane for the mouse. If you're looking for stimulation for him, there are other things you can do with feeding to help keep him active and replicate natural hunting behaviors. Otherwise I can't imagine what you possibly gain from feeding live?

Old 01-08-2021, 06:56 PM   #5
Karl_Mcknight
A simple bite or clawing from a mouse may not even be noticeable to you until several days later when it's infected and festered into a lump the size of a golf ball that can cost hundreds of dollars in vet bills or possibly even the death of your snake. As stated above, "Mice fight back." And yes, I have personally seen what a bite from a mouse can do to a snake.

Old 02-03-2021, 06:41 AM   #6
Zincubus
Quote:
Originally Posted by AneryOwner2020 View Post
I just fed my baby corn his first live pinky. He's a little over 3 months old now and up to this point I fed him frozen. There is really just one pet store that sells live feeders within a 50 minute drive, and they get them in on Thursdays. I'm feeding him every five days, so some days I won't be able to get a live pinkie.

Is it okay to alternate between frozen on some days and live on other days? Or will this confuse my snake?

Why on Earth go down the live feeding route IF it’s been eating thawed frozen ?!?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 02-03-2021, 06:47 AM   #7
Zincubus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
Why on Earth go down the live feeding route IF it’s been eating thawed frozen ?!?!?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google