CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

11" flexwatt and sterilite?

Old 05-01-2003, 01:01 AM   #1
Donb
11" flexwatt and sterilite?

We got our first snake at the Indianpolis show this past sunday.
A Crimson that the seller says came from Rich Z. in Oct. 02
It's ~ 20" at this time. Unsure of the sex.

I've got a 24L X 14D X 13H Sterilite container for housing.
We bought a section of 11" flexwatt. It's my understanding that the 11" doesn't get quite as hot as the narrower (3" ?).

My concern is that the flexwatt is under almost half the container.
Should I arrange it so that less of the container is over the Flexwatt?
This container has a "raised" floor, so that only part of the perimeter of the container is actually in direct contact with the flexwatt.

More info....
I've got a dimmer wired inline. The flexwatt is taped to a tempered glass cutting board, (to keep it off the table) and I have a temp probe on the bottom of the container. I was concerned about the wire for the probe raising the lid enough that the snake could escape, so dont' have it on the inside yet.
I've probably not got the temps quite high enough yet either, as I'm slowing increasing it, rather than risk too-high temps.
Currently running in the low 80's during the day.
Got a zoomed thermostat (500R) on the way, as well as a thermometer/humity combo gauge and some bendable vine stuff for climbing.
A spray bottle is on the to-get list.

Currently using papertowel substrate, a plastic water bowl, with openings so the snake can get in under it. There are also 2 other hides.
Drilled holes in both ends of the Sterilite. Low on the cool end, high on the warm end.

The snake was active at the show and on the drive home.
No issues handling it that first day. (first time to handle a snake for both myself and my daughter) We didn't handle it for very long though, as I wanted to get it into it's new habitat.
Seems to be settling in fairly well. As soon as I get home from work in the afternoon, it's out watching (seems to be watching anyway).
Then starts searching for a way out. : )
I've not yet had it out for handling yet, but have had the lid off 3-4 times for pics and adding/changing water.
The last time, the snake stayed out rather than running for a hide.

<A Href="http://www.outacontrol.net/files/housing.jpg">HERE'S</A> a picture of our container, with the flexwatt visible.

I'm hoping to be able to handle it some Friday and/or Sat, and try feeding Sunday evening.
Should I wait a bit longer for both of the above?

Any suggestions on improving our setup is appreciated.

I'm also wondering about trying some red or blue SuperBright LEDs for lighting.
Placed behind the container so that they light up the interior a little.
Anyone tried this? I think it would provide enough illumination without the heat of a regular bulb.

Thanks.
There's LOTS of really good information here in the forums.

Picture of our snake <A href="http://www.outacontrol.net/files/indy.jpg">HERE</A>
and <A href="http://www.outacontrol.net/files/indy3.jpg">HERE</A>
Colors are pretty accurate in this pic. It was a bit too reddish overall, and I tried to balance it out.
I didn't want to use a flash and stress the little feller out any more than it already is....

Old 05-01-2003, 05:19 PM   #2
13mur 6
I would have to suggest against using LEDs. If I'm not mistaken, you're proabably referring to a 3 volt LED, and those will burn even human retinas out pretty quick, they're REAL bright. Maybe if you put the LED behind a good frosted light diffuser it might work out.

I use a small flourescent bulb and it works great, it's one of those small 6 inch types, and I place it behind my tank and get pretty good illumination without the heat if that's what you were worried about. Colored LEDs do a pretty cruddy job at illuminating things well, they're good for color saturation though (yummy, I can make my Amel look like it's got blue blood). But I guess it's up to you and what skills you have available to you, I good set of white LEDs set inside a well frosted rod of plexi should look smashing if set up correctly.

Other than that, your cage looks fine, good luck with the new fella.

-13mur 6

Old 06-08-2007, 02:26 PM   #3
Smooth_Earth_Snake
11" doesn't get quite as hot as the narrower (3" ?).

[quote=Donb]

I've got a 24L X 14D X 13H Sterilite container for housing.
We bought a section of 11" flexwatt. It's my understanding that the 11" doesn't get quite as hot as the narrower (3" ?).

QUESTION:
How is that 11" Flex Watt working for you? Are yor now getting the heat you need? Where did you get your info about the heat of a 3" verse an 11"?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google