CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Frozen vegetables for mice?

Old 08-19-2014, 10:19 PM   #1
Rigby & Marcy
Frozen vegetables for mice?

I have a lot of extra vegetables from my garden that have become a little overgrown - for instance 11 pounds of green beans that are a little tough and have seeds inside. I'd like to keep them to supplement my mice's diet in the winter. Would they eat them if I blanched and froze them, then just thawed and gave them to them?

What about zucchini? They are mushy after freezing - would the mice care, or should I try slicing and dehydrating them?

Old 08-20-2014, 08:59 AM   #2
smigon
For some reason I read the title as "Frozen vegetables OR mice?" and thought you had lost your mind!!! I thought you were asking if the SNAKE would prefer vegetables or mice!!!

As long as they are frozen while still edible, I can't imagine them being bad for the mice. I don't think you even need to dehydrate them, just slice them up and freeze. I like Ziploc's vacuum bags, many people on here tried and really like them, the seal can be reused until it is not sealing properly, then get a new bag. They are really cheap and easy!

Ziploc vacuum bags

Old 08-20-2014, 09:30 AM   #3
Rigby & Marcy
LOL yeah my snakes are going vegan...

Thanks for the advice. I've seen those bags but haven't taken the plunge.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:21 AM   #4
smigon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigby & Marcy View Post
LOL yeah my snakes are going vegan...

Thanks for the advice. I've seen those bags but haven't taken the plunge.
Amazon has the starter kit cheap and you can buy extra bags there too.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:27 PM   #5
ravendance
I've had pet mice before, yes, you can feed fresh veggies - as a treat. Too much and you run the risk of diarrhea which isn't pretty. I would also avoid feeding them corn if at all possible. Here's some more info on feeding mice (technically geared more towards pet "Fancy" mice, but the basics are the same)

http://www.fancymice.info/feeding1.htm

Old 08-25-2014, 11:36 PM   #6
ravendance
**As a follow up, I DIYd my mice's food - ends up being a lot cheaper in the long run. They also -love- the sticks of millet you can buy for pet birds. I'm making this list via memory so I might forget something but it had: rolled oats, sugar free cheerios, unsalted soy nuts, sugar free dried bananas, raw pumpkin seeds and I would mix in a small amount of dog food for additional protein....This page indicates a rat diet but the diets of both are similar. http://hubpages.com/hub/Homemade-Rat-Diets

Old 08-26-2014, 12:17 AM   #7
Rigby & Marcy
Thanks for the ideas! I had seen the fancy mouse link before but not the rat one. Actually, they seem to contradict each other quite a bit.

I can't seem to buy lab blocks in Canada. I had a major problem at first when DH was looking after the mice, because I'm severely allergic to peanuts and I couldn't even go in the garage where the mice are until I switched them to a peanut-free feed. I ended up buying a canary mix because it's mostly yellow millet, canary grass seed and tiny dried fruits, and has no peanuts or corn. I mixed in barley, quinoa and brown rice that had gone stale on me. I give them just a couple of dog kibbles each day. They go straight for the kibbles!

Old 08-26-2014, 12:59 PM   #8
ravendance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigby & Marcy View Post
Thanks for the ideas! I had seen the fancy mouse link before but not the rat one. Actually, they seem to contradict each other quite a bit.

I can't seem to buy lab blocks in Canada. I had a major problem at first when DH was looking after the mice, because I'm severely allergic to peanuts and I couldn't even go in the garage where the mice are until I switched them to a peanut-free feed. I ended up buying a canary mix because it's mostly yellow millet, canary grass seed and tiny dried fruits, and has no peanuts or corn. I mixed in barley, quinoa and brown rice that had gone stale on me. I give them just a couple of dog kibbles each day. They go straight for the kibbles!
Perfect mouse food!! There is some contradicting stuff out there in regards to what is ok, what isn't ok....when I put the food I used together I used the types of food most recommended, and ignored any of the "could potentially cause allergies" My mice seemed to do just fine on it Mine seemed to like the millet and the puppy treats/kibble the best too.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google