• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

How long to defrost?

Popcorn715

Maybe this is a silly ? and it's probably been answered somewhere I couldn't find, but how long does it take to really get a mouse defrosted and warm?

Especially now that we've moved up to hoppers, I find myself wondering if it's still cold in the middle even if it feels warm to me. We had been just putting the smaller mice in warm water straight out of the freezer just before feeding. Last time I put it in the fridge earlier in the day to get it started and felt better that it was probably warm all the way through.

Any thoughts on the best defrosting method?

I only do hot water. A Pinky might take like 10 seconds, an adult rat might take 20 minutes. Just depends on how big the item is vs how hot the water is and if it stays warm a long time. 1 hopper would probably take a few minutes I'd guess.

I set up an alarm about 2 hours before feeding to put the mouse out, then give it a quick dunk in a cup of water that was heated in the microwave on high for 30 seconds. I've always been too paranoid that I'd cook the mouse, so I go with a slow thaw every time. The heating is basically just to pique the snake's interest.

Back