CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Order Size Recommendation

Old 09-05-2014, 11:51 PM   #1
Jai Ru
Order Size Recommendation

My 9 month old corn snake weighed in at 24 grams today. The last of her pinkies should be finished up within the next couple weeks and I'm going to order through Layne Labs since this is the only snake I have.

I was going to by 25 small fuzzies, 25 large fuzzies, and 25 hoppers. Does that sound right for her size?

Old 09-06-2014, 12:24 AM   #2
MysticExotics
That would probably work, depending on how fast she grows. I calculate prey size (approximately) by taking the weight of the animal (24grams in your case), X .2 = the weight of the prey size.

There's usually a bit of variablility in LL's orders.

I love LL and they are the main company I have used over the past few years.

Old 09-06-2014, 01:14 AM   #3
hypnoctopus
I think it sounds about right. You might also check to see if there are any other AZ people who might like to split an order with you so you can share shipping.

Old 09-06-2014, 11:08 AM   #4
Jai Ru
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticExotics View Post
That would probably work, depending on how fast she grows. I calculate prey size (approximately) by taking the weight of the animal (24grams in your case), X .2 = the weight of the prey size.

There's usually a bit of variablility in LL's orders.

I love LL and they are the main company I have used over the past few years.
That's a good rule of thumb. It looks like the small fuzzies fit right in that range, so I think the order should be good. I'll sort them out by size.

Yeah, I've read about LL a bit on the forum and they seem like a good choice. I could get more for my money through Big Cheese, but I don't want anything to go to waste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnoctopus View Post
I think it sounds about right. You might also check to see if there are any other AZ people who might like to split an order with you so you can share shipping.
It sounds like most of the people active in this forum are on the other side of town, but I plan to offer to share an order with a coworker. He's from PA and was just complaining about the lack of reptile shows around here, and he's resorted to buying his feeders from one of our skeevy local pet shops. I think he'd be down with splitting an order.

Old 09-06-2014, 11:09 AM   #5
Jai Ru
Oops, I can't seem to edit my post, but thank you both for your responses!

Old 09-06-2014, 11:14 AM   #6
Nanci
I'm not familiar with Layne Labs, I mean, I haven't ordered from them, but from most places mice are variable. So if you order large fuzzies, there would be some small and medium in there, and if you order weanlings, there would be hopper-sized mice. I've especially found that when ordering hoppers, there are plenty of fuzzies.

You'll have 75 mice- which is a year's worth of mice. By the time your snake is a yearling, she _should_ be eating weanlings, at least. I think your quantities might be a little too much.

Old 09-06-2014, 11:25 AM   #7
Jai Ru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
I'm not familiar with Layne Labs, I mean, I haven't ordered from them, but from most places mice are variable. So if you order large fuzzies, there would be some small and medium in there, and if you order weanlings, there would be hopper-sized mice. I've especially found that when ordering hoppers, there are plenty of fuzzies.

You'll have 75 mice- which is a year's worth of mice. By the time your snake is a yearling, she _should_ be eating weanlings, at least. I think your quantities might be a little too much.
Good point. I didn't realize that 75 mice would be another year or so. LL lets me order sizes as low as 10 count, with 25 being the next count available. What would be your recommendation with her current weight at 24 grams? I assume you recommend dropping the small fuzzies altogether, which sounds fine, but I'm not sure of the numbers for the next two sizes.

Old 09-06-2014, 11:53 AM   #8
Nanci
If you can order 10 each, I'd do 10 small, 10 large, 10 hoppers, 25 weanlings.

Then, wrap the hoppers/weanlings in newspaper (in their plastic) and put them in a Tupperware in the coldest part of your freezer.

Old 09-06-2014, 12:02 PM   #9
Jai Ru
Perfect, thank you!

Old 09-06-2014, 03:26 PM   #10
ravendance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
If you can order 10 each, I'd do 10 small, 10 large, 10 hoppers, 25 weanlings.

Then, wrap the hoppers/weanlings in newspaper (in their plastic) and put them in a Tupperware in the coldest part of your freezer.
Out of curiosity, minus having to look at the mice when opening the freezer, what was the reasoning behind wrapping in newspaper? I usually don't just curious to know why...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google