CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Nationwide CCW bill

Old 07-14-2017, 11:04 AM   #11
DLena
NY CITY is its own fiefdom for guns, snakes, and other things. My CCW permit is issued in Erie County and is good everywhere else in the state except for NYC, schools, government buildings, though government buildings will hold it for me to reclaim once I am leaving the building.
Karl! Thanks for the thought on non-resident permits. I'm going to snag one for NH, because that permit is good in PA, OH, and other states I travel to most often.

Old 07-14-2017, 03:21 PM   #12
Rich Z
If I am reading this correctly, each state has already agreed to recognize the laws and licenses of other states when they became part of the United States of America.

Quote:
Article IV, Section 1: Full Faith and Credit
Text:
Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State. And the Congress may by general Laws prescribe the Manner in which such Acts, Records and Proceedings shall be proved, and the Effect thereof.
Quote:
Explanation:
Each state is required to recognize the laws and records (such as licenses) of other states and to enforce rights in its own courts that would be enforced in other state courts.
Source: https://constitutioncenter.org/blog/...ates-relations

This applies to a driver's license, so why not a CCW permit? It appears to me that the US Constitution does not allow states to pick and choose which licenses and permits they can recognize or not recognize.

But of course, the liberals will claim anything passed of this nature as being unconstitutional. Which appears to be a card they are playing a lot lately.

Of course, where was their concern of constitutionality when the "assault" weapon ban (among a LOT others) was passed?

Old 07-14-2017, 04:07 PM   #13
DLena
It seems that guns fall outside that Article...as was determined by persons unknown and in the past. If NYS finds that I am safe and able to responsibly carry, then how do I suddenly become unsafe and irresponsible when I drive across an imaginary line?
Certain issues immediately draw unreasonable attitudes and actions - kneejerks -... guns, reptiles, reproduction, gender identity... from otherwise reasonably balanced people.
Whatever happened to the idea of "least restrictive" government? When did this country lose sight of this founding principle?

Old 07-14-2017, 06:08 PM   #14
Karl_Mcknight
of course guns fall out of it. Liberals hate guns. They don't even let their own citizens carry, they sure won't let somebody from another state carry.

Old 07-14-2017, 06:18 PM   #15
Karl_Mcknight
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLena View Post
NY CITY is its own fiefdom for guns, snakes, and other things. My CCW permit is issued in Erie County and is good everywhere else in the state except for NYC, schools, government buildings, though government buildings will hold it for me to reclaim once I am leaving the building.
Karl! Thanks for the thought on non-resident permits. I'm going to snag one for NH, because that permit is good in PA, OH, and other states I travel to most often.
I'm not necessarily recommending non res permits to you. I'm simply stating my home state permit is recognized by a large number of other states through reciprocity. Unfortunately for you, being in New York, you won't find too many states that will acknowledge your permit, nor will you find any state to issue you a non resident permit either. Most states only offer permits to residents of that state. There are a few states that offer non resident permits, but the law can be tricky here. I don't think you could find one permit that would grant you carry status in many states being a non resident, you'd have to have a permit for every single state you intended to carry in.

My suggestion would be to leave New York, run away, fast and far, run like the wind, and move to one of the southern free states of America, - Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama, Florida, The Carolinas, Mississippi, Louisiana, or Texas. The weather is better in these states, the Taxes are lower, and Guns are accepted, appreciated, and recommended.

Old 07-14-2017, 08:00 PM   #16
DLena
After I retire from teaching? I don't think I'd be able to afford to live out of state with the way my NYS penguin would be taxed. . And I have a hard time physically with high humidity. But I hear you...

Old 07-14-2017, 10:07 PM   #17
Karl_Mcknight
♫♪♫♪ ... These are a few of my favorite things.... ♫♪♫♪

Next to Playing guitars and jamming with my band, and My pet snake Rufus, Firearms rank right up there on my list......

Old 07-15-2017, 08:15 PM   #18
Rich Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post
My suggestion would be to leave New York, run away, fast and far, run like the wind, and move to one of the southern free states of America, - Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama, Florida, The Carolinas, Mississippi, Louisiana, or Texas. The weather is better in these states, the Taxes are lower, and Guns are accepted, appreciated, and recommended.
One definite benefit of living in Florida is that there is no state income tax. Not to mention the weather, in that all those months you really don't enjoy being outside up north? That's not the case down here. So if you enjoy being outdoors without freezing off extremities during the Winter, you gain a whole lot more of your outdoor life than you had before.

Yeah, it does get hot and humid, and there are mosquitoes some times and some places, but if Florida were perfect, then I guess everyone would be living here. And we would all be living shoulder to shoulder. Then it wouldn't be perfect anymore, now would it? You need to figure out what is important to you, and run with that baton in your hand.

Old 07-15-2017, 09:39 PM   #19
DLena
Looking at your target, Karl. Please remind me to never ever get on your bad side. On the other hand, are your skills for hire?

Old 07-15-2017, 09:58 PM   #20
Karl_Mcknight
Skills for hire? As in a "Hit Man?" Absolutely not.

But I have been an avid gun owner, shooter, collector, enthusiast since I was a youngster. (I had a rifle and shotgun when I was 12 and got my first pistol at 21 only because the law made me wait that long).

In Tennessee when you apply for your Carry Permit, you are required to take classes in Firearms Safety, The use of Deadly Force, and Firearms Law. In other words, how to operate your gun, when can you legally shot somebody, and what will happen to you if you do.

And my instructor was a Local Sheriff in my area and he told all of us in the class - "If you're going to be out on the streets carrying a firearm in public, you owe it to yourself and the entire community to be as proficient with it as possible."

I take that seriously, I joined a local gun club and we shoot every weekend. It's not only great fun, but it helps to "Hone your Skills."

One of the Cardinal rules of gun safety is - "You are responsible for every bullet that comes from your gun." If I couldn't shoot as well as I do, I'd feel myself not responsible enough to carry.

On a similar note - One day while shooting at the range 2 police officers were there shooting beside me. After a few minutes one of the officers said to me, "Damn, you're a better shot than everybody in our department." I took that as a compliment, but it also made me wonder why are we paying tax dollars to fund men in uniforms that carry guns, and can't shoot as good as an "Average Joe?"

The reason is, I am out there every weekend practicing, and these guys never shoot their guns except for their yearly required Qualifying. To me, that's very scary.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google