CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Can you feed a corn too much?

Old 01-20-2004, 09:39 PM   #1
LYNNE
Question Can you feed a corn too much?

Can you over feed a corn, will they let you? I've read alot in here of how different people feed thier corns on different schedules and amounts and I was wondering if there is too much.

I feed my baby 2 pinkies each Thursday. We missed this thursday because we were out of pinkies and they didn't come in until today. Plus the new pinkies looked a little larger than before. But the two pinkies went down within 10 minutes and then the corn looked around for more and refused to leave the feeding container. Before after the two mice, he would exit his feeding container into his normal viv right away. I don't think having to wait 5 days would make him that hungry. But I almost gave him one more.

Should I start to feed him more often than once a week or increase the amount, or could this just be a snake playing games with me. I have only had him for 4 weeks, but he sure seems to be getting huge real quick. But he is still small enough that when he eats, you can see the bump from the two pinkies.

Old 01-21-2004, 07:19 AM   #2
shaunc
I started by feeding my corn 1-2 pinks every 4 days and gradually increased the amount until he was big enough to take a fluff/fuzzy (adolescent mouse). Now I feed him every 6-7 days on one fluff (he's a late '02 and is about 30 inches long).
I may stand corrected but all snakes are different and will eat different amounts. My instinct would be in your case if he's looking for another one, give it to him. Or feed him more often - say every five days. While he's growing I can't see that it'd do any harm. You have to be more careful with captive snakes when they are fully grown as they can become obese with overfeeding.
Don't worry to much if his feeding is delayed by a few days (although I wouldn't make a habit of it) - in the wild they might go weeks or even months without food and still be OK. An experiment was carried out in India on captive King Cobras - One went three and a half years without food and was still apparently fine.
Sorry to ramble on but basically your snake will tell you when he's hungry and you'll learn to spot the signs (liking staying in his feeding box).

Old 01-21-2004, 08:25 AM   #3
h0mersimps0n
Try to follow the feeding schedule Kathy Love lay's out in TCSM. Overfeeding is DEFINITELY dangerous. Not just because of obesity and too much fat but because the snake's bone structure is not capable of growing as quickly as many of the muscles and tissues and eventually the skeleton will not be able to support the massive tissues.

Try to use the rule, no feed bigger than 1.5 times the widest part of the snake. Once you obtain that sized feed, you should be able to safely use ONE of these food items ONCE a week almost into adulthood (graduating up to bigger feed with time). I like to do once a week feedings for my little one's until they become yearlings, then it's once every two weeks and sometimes I let my adults go a month between feedings.

whatever you do, error on the side of not enough over too much. Snakes have remarkable metabolic requirements and we all want our little guys to grow as fast as possible but health is key too...

Good luck

Old 01-21-2004, 09:14 AM   #4
shaunc
I DO stand corrected. I'm on a learning curve myself and only relayed what I've been instructed by various people. Apologies.

Old 01-21-2004, 12:01 PM   #5
CAV
sounds like you are ready for an upgrade

If your snake is eating two pinkies, I'd recommend moving up to a small fuzzy. It is more desirable nutritionally and will be cheaper than feeding two pinkies.

Old 01-22-2004, 06:44 PM   #6
Cypher2004
i dont think it actually is possible, as i fed my snakes two pinkies and they wud only eat two and leave the rest... maybe they were non-greedy snakes!

Old 01-22-2004, 08:26 PM   #7
mattsnake
all sorts of new members...i feel so lonely... well anyways, im back

Sometimes if i give to big of a mouse, they will get stressed and regurgetate it. Allthough its a minor problem, its definetly best to avoid it by only feeding mice 1- 1.5x the thickest part of the snake.

Old 01-25-2004, 04:21 PM   #8
CornDude
shaun 1 fluff a week for a 30in corn? if i were you id increase to 2 a week or if it will take em small adult mice, my snake is imo healthy and is '03 and 3ft.....

Old 01-25-2004, 10:38 PM   #9
DocJess
Let's hope not ...

This little piggy got into a group of live pinkies in what I thought was a well-sealed container, which I was keeping in her tank to keep warm until I was ready to feed her and 2 others. I left her unattended for maybe 20 minutes, she got in and ate all 7 pinkies! She seems fine, crawling around, probably looking for more. Thankfully, she was already eating 2 f/t fuzzies at a time, so 7 live pinkies shouldn't be toooo much. Sorry about the fuzzy picture, but you'll get the idea.

Old 01-26-2004, 08:29 AM   #10
h0mersimps0n
I don't think I would do that again... and definitely no feeding that one until he/she has had a few BM's and the lumps disappear almost completely...

Feeding again before the swollen lumps go down is HANDS DOWN OVER-FEEDING

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google