CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Ingesting aspen...again

Old 11-20-2017, 02:28 PM   #11
angelcornsnake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
You have a lot of good options now, and I've used them all in the past. I have even read that some people put a towel on their lap and feed their corn there. I've even held a hatchling in my hand and have it strike and eat a pinkie I offered. Let us know what you have decided for future feedings and how she is doing.
Thank you. I will keep you updated. I will try feeding in the plastic tank next time as most people say it's ok to move them back afterwards. The other reason I haven't yet, as I mentioned in my replies to the other guys, is because I don't know where I'd feed her when she grows up. When she's too big for a deli cup and a shoe box.

Daisy June 17, a butter motley corn snake

Old 11-20-2017, 02:58 PM   #12
daddio207
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelcornsnake View Post
Hi, thank you. I want to try feeding outside the vivarium. Everyone says tgat it's ok to move them back afterwards but what about when she grows big? Where would I feed her then?

Your welcome
You can stick with a separate container if it is working well for you. You can use a 10 gallon tank with escape proof top or a storage container that's the appropriate size.
Once my snakes are large enough to eat hopper mice I then feed them in there Viv or tub on aspen. I make sure the mouse is dry (I defrost in hot water) and offer it to the snake on the end of tongs by the tail. At this point it can vary quite a bit. Some will grab and wrap while others just nonchalantly start swallowing the mouse. I also have ones that like their privacy so I'll place the food item on a deli top and leave it.

Old 11-20-2017, 03:01 PM   #13
Twolunger
Daddio answered that question. Sub-adults and adults can be moved to aspen bedding. I used paper towels for all my corns until recently. I have 38 corns and it just became a real chore, so I use aspen shavings for the adults. I still use paper towels for the hatchlings and young corns. I can't answer the question about a corn's digestive tract being able to dissolve aspen bedding. I can tell you I have seen a particular corn ingest aspen before I could grab it, so I checked its fecal matter for two feedings afterwards and never saw any aspen. The corn is fully grown now and suffered no ill effects.

Old 11-20-2017, 03:03 PM   #14
angelcornsnake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
Daddio answered that question. Sub-adults and adults can be moved to aspen bedding. I used paper towels for all my corns until recently. I have 38 corns and it just became a real chore, so I use aspen shavings for the adults. I still use paper towels for the hatchlings and young corns. I can't answer the question about a corn's digestive tract being able to dissolve aspen bedding. I can tell you I have seen a particular corn ingest aspen before I could grab it, so I checked its fecal matter for two feedings afterwards and never saw any aspen. The corn is fully grown now and suffered no ill effects.
Oh I see. I didn't get it first time round about adults moving to Aspen! I guess it's relative to the size so yeah it should be fine. Ok. I'll be testing next week. Fingers crossed!! Thanks.

Old 11-20-2017, 03:54 PM   #15
angelcornsnake
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddio207 View Post
Your welcome
You can stick with a separate container if it is working well for you. You can use a 10 gallon tank with escape proof top or a storage container that's the appropriate size.
Once my snakes are large enough to eat hopper mice I then feed them in there Viv or tub on aspen. I make sure the mouse is dry (I defrost in hot water) and offer it to the snake on the end of tongs by the tail. At this point it can vary quite a bit. Some will grab and wrap while others just nonchalantly start swallowing the mouse. I also have ones that like their privacy so I'll place the food item on a deli top and leave it.
Ok. I will try with the separate tank then. She strikes and grabs it away but rarely constricts. If she's half in the hide she'll drag it in there and eat in peace (while swallowing aspen ). I think she should be ok I the separate tank. We'll see

Old 11-20-2017, 09:06 PM   #16
DLena
If you choose to feed in a separate container: after feeding in a deli cup size container, I used to just set the container into the cage and let the baby slither on out in her own time; when a larger container was needed, I’d wait about 15 minutes after the mouse was totally swallowed and carefully lift her into her cage, being sure to support the food bump. Now that my herd has grown, I just feed in the cage. I use Aspen for my babies and adults.

Old 12-04-2017, 04:09 PM   #17
angelcornsnake
Hello,. I thought I'd give you an update. I fed her in the secondary plastic tub last time and she ate fine. She was a bit jumpy and restless in there but I transferred her back fine, supporting the bulge. I'll continue this way till she gets bigger

Old 12-05-2017, 09:15 AM   #18
April0684
I agree with the secondary container way. My Medusa is an adult and I feed her in a plastic storage container. I've never had any issues with moving her back to her cage. I do wait until the mouse has moved down her body a fair bit before doing though so. Glad to hear it went well for her.

Old 12-05-2017, 09:22 AM   #19
angelcornsnake
Quote:
Originally Posted by April0684 View Post
I agree with the secondary container way. My Medusa is an adult and I feed her in a plastic storage container. I've never had any issues with moving her back to her cage. I do wait until the mouse has moved down her body a fair bit before doing though so. Glad to hear it went well for her.
Thank you. I'll see how she gets on in the separate tank and I might just continue this way

Old 01-18-2018, 04:25 PM   #20
Mitch2742
I fed my corn twice in his enclosure and each time he ingested a (very, very) small amount of aspen. I decided I didn't want to worry about this affecting his health, so I started feeding him in a separate container and all has been well. Moving him back to his cage after a feed doesn't seem to stress him out much at all.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google