CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Snake mites and Ivermectin?

Old 12-17-2010, 06:13 PM   #11
tspuckler
Ivermectin will kill any mites on the snake. This will not solve your problem though - mites lay eggs in the snake's cage. These will hatch and go onto the snake. I don't like the idea of injecting a baby snake with poison and it's bound to be costly if a vet does it.

If you are sure you have mites, you need to treat the caging with something like "Provent A Mite." You also need to treat the snake. This can be done by buying Nix lice treatment at a drug store, putting some on a damp paper towel, and then coating the snake with it. After a minute of so, the Nix needs to be completely rinsed off the snake.

One mite does not seem likely. There are many types of small insects that may end up on a snake or drowned in its water dish. I wouldn't do anything until you see evidence of more mites.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:09 PM   #12
Tinkerbeller87
Quote:
Originally Posted by tspuckler View Post
Ivermectin will kill any mites on the snake. This will not solve your problem though - mites lay eggs in the snake's cage. These will hatch and go onto the snake. I don't like the idea of injecting a baby snake with poison and it's bound to be costly if a vet does it.

If you are sure you have mites, you need to treat the caging with something like "Provent A Mite." You also need to treat the snake. This can be done by buying Nix lice treatment at a drug store, putting some on a damp paper towel, and then coating the snake with it. After a minute of so, the Nix needs to be completely rinsed off the snake.

One mite does not seem likely. There are many types of small insects that may end up on a snake or drowned in its water dish. I wouldn't do anything until you see evidence of more mites.
Yea, I didn't like the idea of injecting a young snake either. So decided against that.

I do have ivermectin to dilute into a spray that I was going to use instead of something like "Provent a Mite". I also can use this in it's diluted form to treat the snake as well.

The fact I only saw one really got me too and I thank you for giving me some really great info. I have been doing some research and found lots of different bugs that it could have been also. I'm still watching the viv's, water bowls, and snakes very closely for evidence of mites and haven't seen anything yet.

Thanks again!

Old 12-20-2010, 12:03 PM   #13
Tinkerbeller87
Well, I found 2 more bugs yesterday that I was sure are snake mites. So I started to treat and found 2 more. So that puts my total count up to 5 mites seen on the milk snake.

I washed everything (vivs and the decorations that could be washed) in hot soapy water and "cooked" all of the branches in the microwave until they were smoking. LOL It smelled like we had the fireplace going lol. Next I mixed up 0.5cc of Ivermectin in 1 quart of distilled water and sprayed everything and let it dry.

Next I soaked the snakes in warm water with a drop of dishsoap. Then I soaked paper towels in the Ivermectin spray and put the snakes in a container with air holes and let them sit.

I put paper towels down instead of substrate and replaced everything. I just wanted to write this down just in case it worked (which I hope it did cuz it took me 6 hours). So if someone else wanted to use it later on they would know if it did or didn't work. I will keep this updated.

Old 12-20-2010, 04:50 PM   #14
Haarstad
I'm sorry, i didn't realize that i had posted one of the pictures twice, it was suppose to me another mite one but i think you understood. Sorry again, i need to pay more attention lol

Old 12-20-2010, 08:44 PM   #15
ratsnakehaven
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbeller87 View Post
Well, I found 2 more bugs yesterday that I was sure are snake mites. So I started to treat and found 2 more. So that puts my total count up to 5 mites seen on the milk snake.

I washed everything (vivs and the decorations that could be washed) in hot soapy water and "cooked" all of the branches in the microwave until they were smoking. LOL It smelled like we had the fireplace going lol. Next I mixed up 0.5cc of Ivermectin in 1 quart of distilled water and sprayed everything and let it dry.

Next I soaked the snakes in warm water with a drop of dishsoap. Then I soaked paper towels in the Ivermectin spray and put the snakes in a container with air holes and let them sit.

I put paper towels down instead of substrate and replaced everything. I just wanted to write this down just in case it worked (which I hope it did cuz it took me 6 hours). So if someone else wanted to use it later on they would know if it did or didn't work. I will keep this updated.

Injecting your young snakes isn't necessary and could be dangerous. I wouldn't use Ivermectin either, because I already know what works. Have you seen the protocol for using PAM (Provent A Mite)? It might cost you $20 for a can, but it's so easy to use, saving you tons of time, it works, and it's safe if you use it correctly.

I use it as a preventative. I get the tank ready with 1/4 to 1/2 inch of shredded apen bedding, and do a quick spray. I leave the tank to dry for at least a few hours, usually don't use it until the next day. I put in the water jugs, hides, etc, and the new snake. Put the tank in quarantine while waiting. The PAM kills any arthropods or arachnids. If you suspect mites later on when or if eggs hatch, repeat the process and you'll be done with the mites. It's an easy proven method.

Good luck....Terry

Old 12-21-2010, 04:00 PM   #16
Tinkerbeller87
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratsnakehaven View Post
Injecting your young snakes isn't necessary and could be dangerous. I wouldn't use Ivermectin either, because I already know what works. Have you seen the protocol for using PAM (Provent A Mite)? It might cost you $20 for a can, but it's so easy to use, saving you tons of time, it works, and it's safe if you use it correctly.

I use it as a preventative. I get the tank ready with 1/4 to 1/2 inch of shredded apen bedding, and do a quick spray. I leave the tank to dry for at least a few hours, usually don't use it until the next day. I put in the water jugs, hides, etc, and the new snake. Put the tank in quarantine while waiting. The PAM kills any arthropods or arachnids. If you suspect mites later on when or if eggs hatch, repeat the process and you'll be done with the mites. It's an easy proven method.

Good luck....Terry
Yea, I read up on the ivermectin injections and I decided not to do it. PAM is not available in my area and I felt the need to do something before the mites became a really huge problem, I didn't want to have to wait for it to be shipped.

I have also decided that the next treatment will be with the Nix that I have done some reading up on. I can get that at any drug store so I will try that even though I haven't seen anymore mites since the ivermectin treatment. Thanks for the advise!

Old 12-21-2010, 05:08 PM   #17
ratsnakehaven
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbeller87 View Post
Yea, I read up on the ivermectin injections and I decided not to do it. PAM is not available in my area and I felt the need to do something before the mites became a really huge problem, I didn't want to have to wait for it to be shipped.

I have also decided that the next treatment will be with the Nix that I have done some reading up on. I can get that at any drug store so I will try that even though I haven't seen anymore mites since the ivermectin treatment. Thanks for the advise!

Ok, but remember, those are powerful chemicals. Take care your babies don't contact them directly. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Terry

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
ivermectin, mites