CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Possible Bite Marks or Something?? (Somewhat graphic!!!!!)

Old 02-14-2011, 07:36 PM   #1
Em Wright
Possible Bite Marks or Something?? (Somewhat graphic!!!!!)

Well my new snake, Silitha shed for me and I just got her out to feed and take pictures... and I found these awful... I say wounds, on her. I'd noticed something on her chin when I first got her home, but I'd found poop in her container and the stuff on her chin looked like poop, but I'm thinking now that she'd gotten poop or something in the wounds!

Here's some pictures. There's two on her chin and one mark that looks like a bite on her body that I hadn't noticed until I was trying to help her get the last pieces of her shed off.

She was such a good girl, letting me hold her neck to get pictures and inspect the wounds. So sweet and accepting, she's got such a nice temperament! She refused to eat... she acted almost afraid of the mouse. I think her previous owner fed F/T and I know I feed F/T or Fresh Killed if it's bigger than a fuzzy. Though I do feed all my snakes predominately F/T, only occasionally do I feed live pinkies or fuzzies, just for the record.

Oh right the pictures. There's a lot of them.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:38 PM   #2
Em Wright
Here's the photos of the wounds on her belly. You can also kind of see something on her side in the same area as well....

Anyone have any thoughts or advice? What should I treat these with, if anything?

Old 02-14-2011, 07:55 PM   #3
zorro
I don't think they are bite marks and they look clean (most likely cause she shed) I would continue to use the cream I told you about and I'll bet that by one or two more sheds you won't be able to see them at all. I don't think they are any big deal, they get nicked up sometimes.
John

Old 02-14-2011, 08:00 PM   #4
Em Wright
Okay, thanks John. I just get so freaked out when I notice something wrong with one of my babies!! I'll put that cream on that you gave me and keep an eye on them and try not to worry.

Thank you, you've been a real life saver to me recently and it is much appreciated!!

Old 02-14-2011, 08:00 PM   #5
crackerhead
So the questions I have are: did she get fed live recently, is she housed alone, what is in her cage that she might have rubbed or gotten caught in/on. Given that you mentioned a previous owner, if this was a recent thing could she have gotten those injuries at the prior home?

Terri

Old 02-14-2011, 08:06 PM   #6
Em Wright
Terri,

I have never fed her live. She is housed alone in the same sterilite tub I brought her home in. She has shredded aspen as substrate, a deli cup for a water dish, and a plastic hide. Far as I know there's nothing in it that she could have hurt herself on.

When I first spoke to the previous owner about the poo on her face he told me he'd not seen anything unusual and that she'd eaten just fine two days before I picked her up.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:13 PM   #7
Johan13
are you certain that isnt scale rot? Thats what it looks like to me (havent experienced it personally, but have seen a few pics). Might want to look into it.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:49 PM   #8
crackerhead
I'm inclined to agree with John. The "poop" was most probably scabs that came off with the shed. I asked about cage furniture etc because they look like marks from getting caught or stuck in something. Especially the ones on her jaw. Keep them clean and maybe add some Silvadine cream. Cuts and burns usually get better with each shed. Just keep an eye on it and she will probably be good as new after a few sheds.

Terri

Old 02-14-2011, 09:06 PM   #9
Dreamsnake
My snow scuffed his head last summer. It looked pretty bad, but healed up alright. His pic is my avatar; it looks like a little wave on his head pattern now.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:54 PM   #10
VickyChaiTea
How long have you had her? If you got her super recently I'm willing to bet the previous owner fed live and wasn't telling you or something. They do sort of resemble bites... they're definitely injuries. But they could have been caused by a rough decoration, sometimes snakes wedge themselves in strange ways.

Just keep an eye out for infection, use neosporin without painkillers and keep her on newspaper for now. If it starts to show any signs of infection take her to a vet, but for now it looks like they'll heal fine.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google