CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

how long after you feed your snake can you handle it

Old 08-22-2011, 03:20 PM   #1
rileyoconnell87
how long after you feed your snake can you handle it

Some of my friends say I cant handle my snake for four to five days after I feed her but I feed my snake every 7 days so I can only handle her 2 days a week. Is this true??

Old 08-22-2011, 03:34 PM   #2
Jdog3131
The normal rule of thumb is 48 hours after it eats you can handle unless there is still a bulge

Old 08-22-2011, 03:52 PM   #3
Vlcek81
I normally wait 24 hrs, unless like Jdog3131 said there is a bulge i will wait longer. i fed my baby corn yesterday and last night he was out and about with his bulgeing tummy and came to the top of the tank as he normally does when he is waiting for me to take him out. Didnt though since he was still digesting

Old 08-22-2011, 04:01 PM   #4
xStaticSnow
24 is the minimum but I would say 48 hours just to be safe (: I can usually handle my snakes after 36 hours or so and never have a problem (except for when my corn snake decides to poop on me!) D:< lol

Old 08-22-2011, 04:02 PM   #5
Karoni
Just for another point of view: I wait until the third day to hold mine. Just to be safe.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:57 PM   #6
knox
I handle the next day sometimes - no problems. Generally, I will give a full day, though.

Brian from BHB also supports the next day rule.

However, my snakes are small and still on pinkies. If, like others have said, there is a large bulge, I would definitely give 2 days.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:34 PM   #7
Dracoluna
It seems to depend on the snake for me. Babies I won't handle for 24-48 hours depending on how stressed they get with handling. For example, I have 2 fires right now that stress out with handling, are having to be tube fed (hope that ends soon) and are very flighty. I leave them for a full 3 days after feedings to ensure they don't regurge anything.
On the other hand, my adults don't mind being handled before, during, and after feeding, especially Flurry. He thinks people are heating rocks made to keep snakes comfortable and fights me when I go to put him back in his cage though he'll happily stay curled inside my shirt or around my neck. The only reason I don't mind handling the adults so soon after though is because I've never had them regurge and they are what I like to call bomb-proof. Nothing bothers them so they don't get stressed out through handling. I've also had them both for 10 years and know their personalities inside and out. With a newer snake whose temperament I was unsure of, I wouldn't attempt anything like that.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:43 PM   #8
AliCat37
I usually go for 48 hours as well.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:18 AM   #9
Whissper
I wait 24 hours until I handle him. The amount I handle him next day is dependant on his mood. If he is lethargic and slow I will only handle him for a few minutes. If he seems content climbing around I extend the amount of time. When I return him I always hold him over his water dish to see if he is thirsty and have noticed that he usually will drink while I am holding him the day after he has fed.

Old 03-08-2015, 12:10 PM   #10
rhondaarneson86
What temperature should a corn snakes cage be at?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google