CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

New to the snake world - CORN SNAKE NOT EATING - please help sad snake story hear !!!

Old 11-24-2004, 10:51 AM   #1
monkeymonstr
Angry New to the snake world - CORN SNAKE NOT EATING - please help sad snake story hear !!!

hello every one thanks for helping me out , On 10-31-04 My girl friend and I went too world wide aquarium & pets , for some things but we saw the corn snakes and since I have been looking in too getting one so we picked one out and we weren't sure if we wanted it now or some other time down the line since we have been also looking at the breeders on line , so we got the snake , bedding ,etc . The woman that helped us told us that the snake was feeding and in good health and last ate a live pinkie mouse on 10-27-04 , and also was eating every 3 to 4 weeks , the corn snake was awsome looking etc , and she told us if we had any ? to call one of the employess denise since he takes care of all the reptiles and would know more about the snake then she would , so we called the next day and one of the employess said that they would call him at his home and ask him all about the snake and our ? that we had as well as any thing that we should know about the snake and too call back , so again we called back and got our answers he confermed that the feeding was on 10-27-04 and every thing was fine with the snake , so a week later I went to get a pinkie mouse to feed to the snake since I new that they should eat about 1 to 2 pinkies every week but no more since a snake can and will eat up too 5 pinkie's a week well the snake didn't eat so I thout it was just because of stress and the new home and started too check the temp in the tank all was good as well for the water and tank was clean , week 2 same step got a pinkie and again tryed too feed the snake no go snake still will not eat week 3 again got a pinkie mouse tryed too feed snake not eating so I poked the pinkie mouse with a pin to make it bleed and possibly ad some sent still snake not eating so on 11-23-04 went too get a pinkie for week 4 feeding and finally met that guy denise and asked him in person about the snake and if they sent the pinkie mouse or was there any thing that they were dowing to feed the snake he asked when I got the snake and all , guss his memory set in finally because he then proceded too tell me that the corn snake that I got from the store was a snake that I never should have gottin at the price than I got it for and that the corn snake was a hypo corn snake worth way more then what I got it for , also that the snake was not feeding etc so at that point im just trying too keep my self cool and not flip out on this person that should have told me all that info the day after I got the snake not 3 and a half weeks later almost a month since ive had the snake . he also told me to bring the snake back and that he would try to get me a new one etc but has no stock in now or in a week or 2 and can't garantie me the same kind of hypo snake or another form of hypo snake . so it sounds too me that Iwilln't even probley get what I had before and don't even know if ill be getting a good priced corn snake like I had as well as getting lied too and ran around as well .. - POOR HYPO CORN SNAKE - if any one has any good feeding tricks please let me know , also is it possible to get the snake feeding on his own at some point of his life ? I will also be calling my vet too see whats best for the snake looks like snake will need force feeding so SAD . also if any one knows of any breeders or any one that is selling them and some one that stand behind there snakes and are up front with there info about the snake please let me know my email is monkeymonstr@aol.com . thanks every one that has looked at this forum and for all your help as well I have learned a good lesson do more reserce on were the snake come from and get all the facts first not a month later .I only feel for the snake now and what its gowing throwe and will try to feed it so it don't die .
Thanks again all
NORMAN

pss This is the place I got the snake from for any one that is or thinks about getting one from this place WORLD WIDE AQUARIUM & PETS 6801 FRANKFORD AVE PHILADELPHIA , PA 19135 #215 624-7300
DON'T MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE I DID GO SOME WHERE ELSE

Old 11-24-2004, 11:35 AM   #2
ghosthousecorns
Hi there, welcome to the forum... There's a lot of reasons why they won't eat including being in shed, too cold etc, but it sounds like they accidentally sold you one that they knew was a non-feeder. You could try live pinks, tease feeding, lizard scenting, a lot of things before you resort to force-feeding which is stressful to the snake. Recommended reading: The Corn Snake manual by Kathy Love, there is a section in it on getting stubborn hatchlings to eat and a lot of other information you will need if you are new to keeping corns.

Old 11-24-2004, 11:39 AM   #3
Clint Boyer
There are several tricks you can try to get a non-feeder started. First thing I'd try would be to isolate it with the food either in a small brown bag or in a deli cup. Then you can try cutting a frozen/thawed pink in two pieces. I've just cut the head off in the past but have found that I get a better response when I cut through the heart lung area just behind the front legs. You can also try scenting with an anole, skink, chicken broth, various other rodents like deer mice, hampsters or rats.

Try a few of those tricks, let us know how you do.

Old 11-24-2004, 12:07 PM   #4
howiet4702
Norman,

You are kinda from my neck of the woods. I live in Newtown and work right off of Red Lion Road in Philadelphia.

First off, they should of never sold you that snake. I assume that there is no guarantee on the animal? How big is it ? Is it still a baby?

I would first go out and buy "The Cornsnake Manual" by Kathy and Bill Love.
That book is a must for corn snake owners.......

Old 11-26-2004, 01:28 AM   #5
monkeymonstr
thanks everyone for the tips

The snake is about 1 ft 1in or so long , I don't know how many months old it could be or the sex of it as well . I was told that the snake was eating live pinkies, as the start of the forum story states , then after many feeding attemps and nothing now im at 1 month since the snake has been in my care , and the snake was at his 4th week feeding on wensday of this week . I have tryed tease feeding many times and nothing , yesterday I put the snake in a plastic small tank with a live pinkie for about 24 hours and left him alone with it and nothing the snake want's nothing too do with the pinkie , so now the pinkie is in the freezer so I can eather brain it or cut it in two and give it to the snake will be doing it today . My girl friend has perchased the corn snake manual from kathy love so its on its way also I have personialy emailed Kathy and asked her for her help and told her the story as well because some one in the chat room told me too check her site out and tell her what happened I think it was you Howiet4702 so if it was thanks she was also a great help in telling me what to do and giveing me good advice as well , since im new to the snake world and since this is the first one ive ever owned but is a shame I have too be gowing throw all this crap as a first time snake owner . And like the forum says how after all this time and being in contact with the pet store the day after I got the snake which was on 10-31-04 and they confermed the story that the snake last ate on the 27 of that month and was eating live pinkies and was also in very good health etc ,they also ansewered all of our ? to the best of there ability which the answers came from the person that knows more or takes care and does every thing with the snakes all I had was his name I also have tryed too contact that person several time and got he is not around or off today or some other reason why he is not around to talk to me they also told me that there is a 48 hour small animal guarantee, but not on the reptiles so I kept trying too feed the snake and do what I can for it also told my vet which is Indian vally walk vet in yardley since they deal with exotic animals and are very good at what they do and I take all of my pets there as well , also like the forum states when I went to the same pet store to get the 4th week feeding pinkie and asked the person that gave it to me what or if they do any thing too the pinkies at feeding time for the snakes and when I asked the persons name he was finally the person that the pet store told me too contact about the snake and all and I started too tell him the story and that when his memory kicked in and he started telling me that the woman gave me a more expencive snake the one I got is a hypo corn snake which was worth way more then what I should have payed for it and that buy the way that snake was not feeding at all and was getting force feed so I said some things like why did you have the snake for sale and why wasn't I told about the snakes condition etc and said when I called the next day to talk with you Another store employe told me every thing was fine and dandey with the snake also told him just because I payed 30 dollars for the snake doesn't mean anything I should have been told and if I was told I would have gottin another kind of corn snake or none at all which at that time they had 3 of them all babys, I have been looking at corn snakes up untill I got this snake which was a spaire of the moment choice at that time the person told me well to bring the snake back and he would try and get me another one but can't giveme his word on it also has no stock in at this time etc but I will be paying the store another visit today and hopefully the person is there and we can get this matter resolved or I will just have to arguie with the store owner etc on the matter even if I get store credit it will only make my other anamals happy and not me what I want is another snake that is feeding and yes I will want to see it eat and something that tells me the snake is in good heath or my money back so I can get one from kathy but untill the matter is over I still have too try and help out this poor snake too eat and not die thanks again every one and ill be trying every ones ideas or tricks etc and keep every one up to date on what happens , the snakes tank is 85 degrees on the hot side between70-75 on cool side , has fresh water ,hiding spots 2 to be exact one on hot side and one on cool side also 2 climbing trees and fack plants as well .

Old 11-26-2004, 02:47 AM   #6
Joejr14
Not to be rude here, but it is VERY difficult reading your posts. If in the future you could perhaps try to work on not making your post one huge long sentence, that would be most helpful. It becomes a big effort to read something like that.

I'd try to call the Petstore and work something out---get a different corn that you've seen eat, or get your money back. If you bitch enough, usually something will get done.

Good luck.

Old 11-26-2004, 06:25 PM   #7
monkeymonstr
I did take the snake back after all I tryed too do for it and talked with denise about the snake again and what is or can he do too make me happy well he had only one snake left and it was an albino corn snake was alot bigger then mine and alot fatter as well is about 1ft and a half inches long and as fat as a dime so I told him then ill take that one and gave it a live pinkie so I can see if it will eat well it ate like a champ so now the snake has a new home . Thanks every one for all your help I really appreciate it all , buy

Old 11-26-2004, 06:47 PM   #8
Cindy
Good luck with your new pal, I had a similar experience and was sold a corn that wasn't ready but the store exchanged it. I hope it all works out OK I'm sure it willl.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google