CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

the saga continues........

Old 05-03-2006, 12:08 PM   #91
SnakeCreations
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkva
That's a bummer about the cannibal parents but this usually happens (as far as I know/remember from somewhere) that if you leave the male with the female once she gives birth, they eat the little ones. You might want to try putting the male in another cage when she is close to giving birth.

Please, anyone, correct me if I am wrong!

Great news that Lil is still putting on weight an is healthy.

Good luck on the next one
Hey Girls -

That is not correct. The male/father mouse actually spends as much time caring for the little ones as the mother does.

What I've seen in the mouse colonies that I've had is that first time parents sometimes will eat their young or if the family gets stressed or sometimes another female will kill then eat the young or sometimes it's never resolved.

What I do is give the colony a chance to settle and have a few litters. If they are still killing young by the 3rd litter I try to isolate the "problem" mouse or I euthanize the whole bunch and start over (this has only happened once - ugh). I have never had the male mouse be the "problem" mouse.

I think that isolating the colony, keeping the stress down is the best plan.

Good Luck!!

-Tonya

Old 05-03-2006, 12:20 PM   #92
jenkva
Thanks for correcting me Tonya

Old 05-03-2006, 03:00 PM   #93
Gintha
I've had a couple males that would eat the babies ~,~ Then again.. I had a couple moms that would give birth, then eat the baby while giving birth to the next O.O Crazy mices hehe.

Old 05-03-2006, 03:04 PM   #94
SnakeCreations
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gintha
I've had a couple males that would eat the babies ~,~ Then again.. I had a couple moms that would give birth, then eat the baby while giving birth to the next O.O Crazy mices hehe.
I think it's safe to say then, that mice are very unpredictable in their behavior. Our information is only as good at the mice we own... LOL

-Tonya

Old 05-05-2006, 07:34 AM   #95
diamondlil
Here's big fatty Lil, she weighed in at an impressive (for her) 38g!

Tonight am going to try on a thawed pink, I've put silk plants in her tub now, to see if they will make her feel a bit less stressed, although can't say she seems at all worried about life
The mouse is getting fatter, but as the last litter were canibbalised not holding out for them as the answer.
again thanks for all the support I've been getting on here.

Old 05-05-2006, 08:43 AM   #96
Plissken
I've been following this whole thread and I just wanted to say I completely admire your devotion. You obviously love and respect your animals very much.

I am hoping for Lil, and will continue to follow this thread to see how it all goes, so please keep us updated

Old 05-05-2006, 09:06 AM   #97
diamondlil
It's really nice of you to say that, but really have no alternative! If Lil was in any way showing signs of suffering, or was still failing to thrive, I'd have her euthanised. Someone on an english forum had to force feed for 2 years before the snake fed voluntarily, so it's not just me, and I just hope this shows there can be something done for some non-feeders.
My real regret is that I can never breed Lil, we have a small enough gene-pool in the uk, so she won't get to pass on her problems, but also won't see if her lovely colours would have been replicated.

Old 05-05-2006, 09:09 AM   #98
Plissken
Yes, but a lot of people would just have given up by now. And you chose not to swap Lil for another snow! That proves you are devoted, surely. I expect a lot of people would have sold Lil back to the pet shop by now

That is a shame about breeding. I don't know, are feeding problems genetic? It puzzles me why some corns won't feed and the rest feed normally.

Old 05-05-2006, 09:15 AM   #99
diamondlil
ok. I admit I'm a softy! When I was breeding gerbils, one of the mum's always rejected her albino pups as their fur grew in, so I hand reared them, and strangely one of my old zebra finches rejected her wild-type chicks, so hand-raised them too. It just takes a bit of time and effort, and I can see that big-time breeders might not have the time, but with a few pets it's easy to see if the babies are saveable.

Old 05-05-2006, 09:15 AM   #100
Roy Munson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plissken
I don't know, are feeding problems genetic? It puzzles me why some corns won't feed and the rest feed normally.
Some feeding problems probably are genetic. You might pair up two siblings because both are het for the amel trait, expecting 25% of the offspring to be amel. But each sibling might also be het for "I don't wanna eat" trait, which could result in 25% of the offspring being "I don't wanna eat" corns.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google