CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

the saga continues........

Old 02-12-2006, 11:56 AM   #21
diamondlil
Thanks Larry, just that the live mouse fuzzy looked far bigger than the f/t pinks Lil was refusing (would be at least twice her diameter), and only resorted to the syringe because she had started to look triangular and had gone down to 9grams. Will go back and get the mouse tomorrow and give it a try, if Lil doesn't eat it one of the others will so it wouldn't go to waste. Is hard because feeding live so frowned on here in UK, but can ring around other local petshops to see if any pinks can be obtained. Not sure of legality but have been told is only ok if you can prove the snake won't feed otherwise.

Old 02-12-2006, 12:17 PM   #22
galofgrace
I'm interested in what lizard maker is

Old 02-12-2006, 12:20 PM   #23
diamondlil
Aha! can answer that one! Lizard maker is liquid that gives the pink the scent of lizard and can be used to convert snakes that want lizards for their first meals. I have only read about it being used for miami hatchlings, can't get hold of any to try on Lil, and she did start off successfully taking pinks without it.

Old 02-12-2006, 02:05 PM   #24
Lennycorn
Good luck with getting your snake to eat, I guess you tried scenting with tuna water/juice and/or braining the f/t and/or slicing the backs to help??

A tad of subject, but how do you prove a nonfeeder snake to a pet store to get/buy a live one?

Old 02-12-2006, 04:39 PM   #25
diamondlil
Thanks Lenny, yes i have tried those things, with no success so far.
Not sure about proving she is a non-feeder, have kept detailed records of all the snakes feed/shed and weight from the start, but seems best bet is to find sympathetic petshop and do 'under the table' deal or get pair of mice and keep Lil going until they produce. Unless there is a forum member near me in kent who breeds mice????????????

Old 02-18-2006, 09:38 AM   #26
diamondlil
Smile

Lil has gone up to 14 grams! am syringing the mouse puree into her every 4 days, she is digesting it nicely, no re-gurges, is pooping No luck with live pinkies around here, the 1 shop prepared to help had only fuzzies, so am getting my own breeder mice this week. Plan is to try Lil with a f/t pink on tuesday for the first time for 2 weeks, but still getting the breeder mice as back-up plan. At least I know that I can keep her going on the syringed mouse until she takes either f/t or live pink. Only used the blender for making ice-cream last summer, think I'll get a new one and keep this for the snakefeed. Once again thanks to all who have given help so far, J9

Old 02-18-2006, 09:46 AM   #27
kathylove
I have a cheap coffee grinder that I have used for grinding pinks in. Grinders are cheap and don't take up much space, although you still have to use water during grinding, and still have to put the whole mess through a strainer to make it go through most syringes.

Old 02-19-2006, 01:52 AM   #28
diamondlil
Smile

am using adult mice for the blending process, then freezing little lumps of the puree in an icecube tray. figured there would be more nutrition in young adult as opposed to pink. have to chop the mouse up quite well before the blender can cope with it, and also futher grinding the lumps with the back of a spoon on a chopping board before the syringing. by hook or by crook am determined to give Lil as good a chance as I can. The shop owner has offered to swap her for another snow, but am totally stubborn about Lil

Old 02-21-2006, 04:37 AM   #29
diamondlil
Smile

my baby girl is shedding today, and true to her 'problem child' status it is coming off in patches, so she is now in a humid box with a nice rubbing stone to help the process, am going to try her first f/t for a while tonight, and going to pick out my breeder mice as backup. there has been protest from my pro-rodent sons, have had to promise they can raise any really cute mice as pets, so am off to find the ugliest mice possible

Old 02-24-2006, 03:31 AM   #30
diamondlil
so Lil just 'yawned' at the f/t pink, then sniffed it over a couple of times before coiling up. she is a much healthier 17 grams, and finally doesn't look skinny. the breeder mice are in love already, so hopefully 21 days until I can try a live pink, the female had sucessfully produced a litter at the shop, both mice are young and healthy. read an old thread showing nutritional comparisons, so am going to blend some chicks next, also will see if my ratsnake will like chick for a change. the plan is to not feed Lil for 5 days before the pinks are due, by then she should have built up enough that I can let her get a little hungry. thanks again, Kathy. Right from your first e-mail have been blown away by the time and effort you give to help someone who will never be able to buy any snakes from you (unless I ever win the lottery and relocate, in which case would be banging on your door!)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google