CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Metal in a mouse...My Poor Festivus

Old 10-11-2008, 11:43 PM   #21
Rich in KY
How disturbing!

I am wishing you and Festivus the best, Beth!

Old 10-12-2008, 05:27 AM   #22
diamondlil
Best wishes for a speedy recovery for Festivus

Old 10-12-2008, 05:33 AM   #23
Nanci
How's the little guy this morning?

Old 10-12-2008, 09:38 AM   #24
strawberry_bunny
OMG I hope he gets well soon, poor little mite. At least he has a wonderful mummy to take care of him

Old 10-12-2008, 10:01 AM   #25
Cornflake1
Just read what happened!!! Poor fella!! How is he today?? I still can't believe it, he's just so lucky you got home when you did and got him to the vets.... keep us all posted on his recovery!!

Old 10-12-2008, 11:47 AM   #26
starsevol
Thank you all for the well wishes. He looks alot better this morning. The swelling is down and he's not holding his head up and at an angle like he was. I think that means he's more comfortable. He also fought alot harder at meds time this morning. The vet said he can eat a pink in 2-3 days, but I want to wait til after his appt on Friday. I hope this doesn't turn him off of food.

I don't know how I missed seeing it, it was big. It must have been stuck into the mouses body. I reached into the hopper bag, counted out what I needed, and tossed them in the plastic bowl to thaw. Nothing stuck my hand...maybe the sharp edges stuck into another mouse too ...I don't know. Then I thawed them, and you would think the hardware cloth would have fallen off....it must have been stuck IN the mouse. I didn't see it, but then who looks for that??

I hope I didn't sound like a drama queen yesterday. I didn't take a pic of it because at the time the focus was getting him to the vet as fast as possible. Plus, I think I was in shock. It was REALLY bad, like nothing you would expect. I will try to get a pic of him sometime today. The wire itself had to be cut into pieces for removal by the vet and are in a plastic bag on my desk at work. I want to show it to my supplier next time he comes in.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:58 AM   #27
measley
I'm glad to hear that he's doing better today. thanks for the update, he and you are still in my thoughts and i'll hope for a quick recovery.

Old 10-12-2008, 12:54 PM   #28
Roy Munson
I've been busy, so I haven't read many threads here lately. Deb told me about Festivus' situation when I talked to her last night.

That's one of the strangest things I've ever heard about, Beth. I'm glad he's doing better this morning. I hope he makes a full recovery-- I know how much he means to you. But if there's anyone who can nurse him back to 100%, it's you...

Old 10-12-2008, 12:56 PM   #29
tom e
Most likely it happened to the mouse AFTER it was gassed.. I can't imagine that they wouldn't notice something wrong with the mouse if it was jabbed with a big piece of hardware cloth while living.. You probably didn't see it cause it was under the fur or something. That's still pretty darn crazy. If they are using some piece of caging that's falling apart (even if it is just the kill/gas cage) they need to be told to replace it..

Does your friend know which breeder he got it from yet? (mouse breeder..)

Glad to hear he's looking better! For all the scariness this is probably a pretty small thing for the snake (once it's out anyway!!)

Old 10-12-2008, 01:27 PM   #30
Lyreiania
Hello Beth...
Im sending my best wishes for your Festivus. I hope he heals and all is OK. It certainly sounds as though he has a wonderful snake mom. It does seem like a freak accident, and Im glad you reported it to your suppliers.
Sincerely,
Susan

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google