CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Adult corn snake hasn't eaten in 2 months! Please help!

Old 03-12-2010, 05:07 PM   #1
lbrown290
Adult corn snake hasn't eaten in 2 months! Please help!

I was wondering if I could get some advice regarding my corn snake who won't eat. He is a hypomelanistic cornsnake and will be 3 years old this coming August.

He's got me really worried. He hasn't eaten in 8 weeks. I faithfully attempt to feed him every week, except for last week, he shed, which was a perfect full shed. I see him drinking which is good. I'm giving him the same size thawed rats he's always eaten. He appears interested, will smell and move around it. I even think he's coiling around because when I go back to it it's quite floppy like he's been playing with it. I've tried putting him and the rat in a small feed box for a few hours but still nothing. I haven't tried a mouse instead of rat, fresh killed or live. I was hoping not to have to go that route. He's had frozen/thawed rats since he was born.

He did this last year around the same time but only for about 4 weeks then he was right back on his food.

His temps are good I think. 87 on the warm side, 72 on the cool. I think humidity is good since his sheds are always full, never partial. He's actually had 2 bowel movements since his fast started, which all appear normal. He appears to have possibly lost a bit of weight, I can pinch a small bit of skin but he appears bright, alert and still very strong.

And his behavior has changed somewhat. He is normally a very shy snake. Likes to hang out hidden, will wander on occasion but not very often or for too long. Lately he's been out and about alot, sometimes with part of his body in his water dish. I find him looking for a way out of his cage most of the time. He'll be running his nose along the wires on the top of cage looking for a weak spot. He is still very docile and gentle, has showed no aggression at all, just not himself.

The only thing different is on occasion I find my cat sleeping on top of his cage. I shoo her away and shut the door when I find her. I've make sure she's not in there when I feed him. Although he should be used to her, he's been around her since I got him on July of 2008.

I thought maybe he was in hibernation mode and now he wants to look for a girl snake but 8 weeks seems like a long time to me. I last tried to feed him on March 6th with no success. I'm not sure if force feeding is the way to go now or not. I've never done that and wouldn't want to injure him or stress him out more.

I'm worried about him. I don't what else to do with him. I was hoping to get your advice before I whisk him off to vet.

I'm going to attempt to feed him a mouse instead of a rat tomorrow night.

Any advice you can give me would much appreciated. Thanks very much.

Old 03-12-2010, 05:18 PM   #2
snakewispera snr
Breeding season..... but you probably knew that...
Don't worry about it... It's normal...

Old 03-12-2010, 05:29 PM   #3
lbrown290
I thought that might be whats going on. How long should I let him go not eating before I seek vet care?

Old 03-12-2010, 05:33 PM   #4
bitsy
I agree. Sounds like your boy's a man! Don't try force-feeding - you could just get him associating food with stress and put him off when he finally does remember that he has a stomach as well as... er... other bits!

If he's keeping to his usual schedule, one of my males is about to enter his annual three month fast. Once you get used to their patterns it's a bit less nerve-wracking. Just keep offering food at weekly or two weekly intervals. Don't worry - yours will start up again evntually.

Eight weeks and more without food is fine for a healthy adult male Corn. Does he appear to be losing any significant weight or muscle tone?

By all means take him to the vet for a checkup if you really feel concerned, but I'm betting that he'll tell you the same thing.

Old 03-12-2010, 05:35 PM   #5
bitsy
Quote:
How long should I let him go not eating before I seek vet care?
I'd only consider it if he appears to be losing a lot of weight or muscle tone, or developing an obvious health problem.

One of mine went through an extended phase of not eating - he ate twice in seven months (a stress-induced fast following a house move that merged into his normal mating fast). He's now a ripe old age and lived to tell the tale entirely unscathed.

Old 03-12-2010, 05:40 PM   #6
lbrown290
Thanks for the advice. He appears to have lost a bit of weight but muscle tone is still very good. I feel much better now abou this refusal to eat. He was keeping me up at night worrying about him!

Old 03-12-2010, 05:42 PM   #7
bitsy
Yep, they do love to do that!

Old 03-12-2010, 07:00 PM   #8
ComoxCorn
One of my males has been off food now for 48 days. He did the same thing last year and went 62 days. I wouldn't get too worried yet.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:04 AM   #9
Popeye
My male has not eaten since Jan 28, and the vet told me not to worry about it until another six weeks from now. Mine is in luv mode and is now in Blue for the second time in one month.

He too has stressed due to a move, a prior mite problem, and i am waiting for his upcoming shed to try and feed him again.

Cheers

Old 03-13-2010, 10:11 AM   #10
lbrown290
Thanks, that puts me at ease. Hopefully he'll be back on schedule soon.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google