• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Adult corn snake hasn't eaten in 2 months! Please help!

hi my corn snake that I just got from petsmart about a month ago has not eaten what should I do he is a year old

Is this snake poisonaus????

The word you're looking for is venomous, and the answer is no. Poison does you harm when you ingest it; venom does you harm when it’s injected into you. It’s “poisonous” when you bite it - it’s “venomous” when it bites you.

Corn snakes kill their prey by constriction.

Go to the very top of the page, in a box at the very top you will see:
CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Click on health Issues/Feeding problems, on that page there will be a little blue box labeled new thread click it and follow the directions from there.

Mine, too!

:headbang: Been concerned about Salazar (!) not eating as well, and that makes about 2 months. He is about 8 years old and a very healthy male, plus he just recently fully shed. I believe he must want a girlfriend. I have read on this forum that I should keep offering him food, which I've done once a week to every other week. My thoughts were that if I waited a bit and he was really hungry, he'd "go for it." Unfortunately, he only sniffs and leaves. I'm relieved that others are seeing the same behavior and it's "normal." TY!

I'd just offer every two or three weeks. Do you have a back-up snake to give the mouse to if he refuses?

No back up snakes at this time, but I'm seriously considering getting an adult female from someone this weekend. Is it a bad idea to introduce a new snake in Salazar's cage, or should they be able to smell/see each other for a while? How long? As for the "rejected" hopper rats, I've had to put them outside/compost all that time because he won't take them.:crying:

Hi littlebip and welcome.
Since he is 8 years old and a very healthy male then I would keep to what Nanci has recommended. Your snake is most likely in breeding mode BUT that does not mean he needs too! It is a bad idea to introduce another snake just for the fact that so many things can go wrong with the female like egg binding. Also search co-habitation to see all the ill effects that can occur. What is your plan with the eggs and future hatchlings?
He WILL get over the urge to breed. A 8 year old very healthy corn snake can go months without eating with no ill effects.
Your concern is notable but NO WORRIES :)
We have enough Newbie's to the hobby that believe that they are going to produce the next super-morph or just want to do it for the fun of it. In your case to breed just to give your snake "relief" is even a worse idea. I say this in kindness to you and your snake :)

Thanks for Advice!

Thank you! I have been concerned, and i appreciate the sage advice. I will just handle him as usual and wait to feed him when he looks ready. BTW, and not that I'm planning to breed him, but do adult male corns eat babies (do you have to separate them after hatching)? Just wondered.

Thank you! I have been concerned, and i appreciate the sage advice. I will just handle him as usual and wait to feed him when he looks ready. BTW, and not that I'm planning to breed him, but do adult male corns eat babies (do you have to separate them after hatching)? Just wondered.

eggs are incubated separately from the parents so I have really no idea if an adult corn snake would eat a hatchling BUT babies can and have eaten other babies!!
:)

Mine didn't eat for nearly 4 months, then he nearly took my hand off when i put yet another mouse into his viv. Never fed him in the viv before, but he seems to prefer it that way now.

Back