CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

Copperhead in the barn.........How do we handle this??!!?

Old 08-22-2010, 03:21 PM   #71
Raptor
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakemaster24 View Post
Because humans have ruined the earth? Look around yourself. Buildings, cars, pollution. Sure its our way of life but is it good for nature? If we should be welcome to kill animals that threaten us, why shouldn't snakes be allowed to defend themselves?
Well, if you find humans so awful, you have plenty of options available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knox View Post
Agree. Perspectives can be narrow when all sides and possiblilites are not entertained.

Listen, I love animals as much as the next guy. But I am not going to leave a hornet nest in my yard to sting me a hundred times when I am mowing my yard any more than a venemous animal.

The first time this kid gets stung by a swarm of bees, bitten by a black widow, or tagged by a "hot", his perspective will change.
Hopefully, it won't be his last time.

Old 08-22-2010, 03:21 PM   #72
Carinata
Quote:
"Unless Cornered".

Or how about Spooked unintentionally by a 4 year old girl?

The potential is there in both animals.
But the snake is easily removed and can be removed without issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickdeuel View Post
Just for everyones information snakemaster24 is only sixteen and has little experience with life or responsibilities. His views will change as he matures.
You got me! I'm 16! No responsibities at all. I don't pay for and take care of my own collection of snakes. I don't have the responsibility of watching a 6 year old. I also don't have the responsibility to do anything. I'm just a dumb kid

Old 08-22-2010, 03:23 PM   #73
Carinata
Quote:
Agree. Perspectives can be narrow when all sides and possiblilites are not entertained.

Listen, I love animals as much as the next guy. But I am not going to leave a hornet nest in my yard to sting me a hundred times when I am mowing my yard any more than a venemous animal.

The first time this kid gets stung by a swarm of bees, bitten by a black widow, or tagged by a "hot", his perspective will change.
I have been stung by a nest of yellow jackets, bitten by spiders ( I am picking up a tarantula next weekend!) and as far as snakes go nothing is ever going to turn me away from snakes!

Old 08-22-2010, 03:27 PM   #74
knox
The snake can NOT be easily moved by someone who has no experience in moving venemous animals.

Chances are FAR greater that someone will get bitten by TRYING to move the snake than if they kill it or just leave it alone.

And leaving it alone is NOT an option when kids are around.

Old 08-22-2010, 03:28 PM   #75
knox
You have been stung by a swarm of yellow jackets and you would STILL leave the nest alive if it was outside your front door?

Sorry, but that just makes no sense to me.

Old 08-22-2010, 03:30 PM   #76
knox
I find it hard to believe you have been bitten or stung by anything that hospitalized you.

I have no personal beef with you. It is just that your logic is naive at such a young age.

Old 08-22-2010, 03:43 PM   #77
ghosthousecorns
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennycorn View Post
Wouldn't the chances of getting bit be about the same??
Not the way I hold tools. I don't know how other people hold their garden tools but I can stand at the end of a push broom and sweep or push with the entire length of the handle between myself and the snake. In order to dispatch it with a hoe I need to hold the handle closer in to about halfway point to have any leverage, thus cutting the distance between myself and the snake by half as compared to the broom. If I wanted to use a shovel, I would pretty much have to stand right by the snake's head.

Old 08-22-2010, 03:58 PM   #78
Carinata
Look I understand that you don't understand my logic. But I am the kind of person that is very intouch with animals and nature. Not creepy tree hugger type but more like I think they have just as much right here as we do. We came after them and therefore we should respect that. We need to learn a copperhead is here to help us and relocation should be an option. Don't punish the animal for the good it does, praise it. Allow it to live its life, not allow more pest to prosper.

Old 08-22-2010, 04:01 PM   #79
snakewispera snr
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakemaster24 View Post
Look I understand that you don't understand my logic. But I am the kind of person that is very intouch with animals and nature. Not creepy tree hugger type but more like I think they have just as much right here as we do. We came after them and therefore we should respect that. We need to learn a copperhead is here to help us and relocation should be an option. Don't punish the animal for the good it does, praise it. Allow it to live its life, not allow more pest to prosper.
Very noble, but you don't have kids.... Do you...

Old 08-22-2010, 04:05 PM   #80
dickdeuel
I think people have lost track of the original posters thread. It seems that nobody is really reading posts before they reply.

The copperhead was found among hay bales inside a barn, and I'm sure there were several inches of loose hay on the floor. How long do you think it takes for a snake to disappear in that stuff! Your not going to do any sweeping with a broom or the snake is gone. If you have a shovel close enough you will kill it. If your the father of young girl you would probably stomp it to death without thinking about it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google