CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

Show off your vivarium

Old 08-09-2011, 10:53 PM   #71
AliCat37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudi View Post
Very nice, all of them. Why is it not good to cohab them? I have had 4 together for several months. Two are about 8 Months & 2 are about 1 1/2 years. one has layed eggs & don't know the sex on the others yet. Most of the time they all curl up together under the newspaper. I do separate them when I feed them. I am working on my 3 level Vivarium so I can separate them.
There are lots of other threads on why not to cohab. Some of the most severe reasons are illnesses, over breeding, cannibalism, and aggression. I have housed hatchlings together before, but on advice from my breeder they were separated by a year old. Generally, snakes will hit sexual maturity around two years of age, so if you have multiple males you may encounter fighting between them, and your females may be over bred (which can cause damage at the cloaca leading to egg binding). Stress from others may also cause them to go off feed. Curling up together is also a sign of competition for resources within their habitat. Snakes are not social animals, so close proximity to each other tends to stress them out. I am not one to tell someone that their methods of keeping critters is wrong, I can only suggest what I and others have experienced.

Here is another thread about cohabbing, so as to not derail this one
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/sho...ight=Cohabbing

Old 08-09-2011, 10:57 PM   #72
AliCat37
This is not to say that with plenty of room they can be cohabbed! I know on several threads people discuss cohabbing without issue. But I would only do it with same sized adult females.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:47 AM   #73
Trudi
My two large ones are Common Red & Albino. Would that be a bad thing for them to mate? The Common Red layed 11 eggs this year. I Am getting ready to sex the Albino. My Lady I take care of has been in the Hosp. So I have been gone a lot. Hope to sex it this weekend. One and a half to young to breed?

Old 08-10-2011, 03:48 PM   #74
atmox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudi View Post
Very nice, all of them. Why is it not good to cohab them? I have had 4 together for several months. Two are about 8 Months & 2 are about 1 1/2 years. one has layed eggs & don't know the sex on the others yet. Most of the time they all curl up together under the newspaper. I do separate them when I feed them. I am working on my 3 level Vivarium so I can separate them.
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/sho...ight=cohabbing

That's why

Old 08-10-2011, 03:59 PM   #75
Trudi
What does " That's Why" mean. How do I learn anything if you don't explain yourself. We are getting Kathy Love's Corn Snake Morph Guide very soon. But until then.

Old 08-10-2011, 04:29 PM   #76
Trudi
Thank You, AliCat37 I am still learning about how to use this forum. Not real computer Savvy. I didn't see your post before I saw atmox. Thank you for your input. We will have them Separated by this weekend.

Old 08-10-2011, 04:44 PM   #77
AliCat37
No problem, and atmox posted a link above the "that's why" for you to click on

Old 08-10-2011, 10:46 PM   #78
Trudi
Thanks atmox for the link. I read enough to get the message.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:46 AM   #79
NikeMoth
Check out my tank!

Here's my little ten gallon . . .

Old 08-13-2011, 01:51 PM   #80
Trudi
Very nice. What do you have on the floor?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google