• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

DYI Hides.

sinlesstwigs

Hey guys, Been a while since i've been on here. I Just bought a new snake (pics to come today was feeding day so in a few days ill post some of all 3 corns) Currently my new baby is living in a tub, But soon I am going to be putting her into a 10 gallon tank(until she out grows it) But it's going to be the most out and open one, so I guess it will be the "show" viv. So my question is, what are some good DYI hide's that look really nice and natural? Thanks in advance, sorry I searched for DYI hide's but didn't come up with anything new and interesting:)

For my hides I went to hobby lobby and got a pack of tiny terra cotta flowerpots, 6 for $1 I think, and used a dremmel to make little doorways in them and put them upside down in the viv. They aren't really natural per se but they are cute.

mflick - do you get that at hobby lobby? I was there and looking at it the other day. Well, I don't think that was the brand. Where do you get it?

mflick - do you get that at hobby lobby? I was there and looking at it the other day. Well, I don't think that was the brand. Where do you get it?

Hobby Lobby = Yes

Look for air drying clay or you can also use the oven drying type. Now I have never used it to make hides. My daughter used for school projects and a lot of people here use it to make hides.

Found it

Oh hush, you saw what I did with styrofoam. It's easy! Clay would probably be easier though... Hrmph...

The clay is real easy to work with and it does not make a mess like some other stuff. Also, you can paint it whatever color your mind can come up with.

I might try the styrofoam tomorrow, I hope to have more ambition tomorrow - but yes it does look a bit messy. I could probably make lots more hides too with what I already bought. I'll get another color of paint so they aren't all the same. the styrofoam does look pretty simple, I'm just lazy but it would give me something to do, which would be good for me.

I made these last night using Crayola air dry clay - from Target 5# was $9. If you use this stuff, you might want to buy wax paper to roll it with. I tried it on the counter which was disaster, just had to peel it all up with a knife, but then I used foil which wasn't too bad but wax paper would be perfect. I made 6 and I probably have about enough clay to make another 6 or more, but I don't want them all so small and I'm trying to figure out a way to make larger ones. I didn't have a rolling pin so I used a can of air freshener, lol!

I'm going to paint them with texture paint which will hide any imperfections - I have 2 cans of different colors and those run about $8/can. I think once I get them painted they will look nice. They don't look too bad w/out the paint even.

photo-33.jpg

I have several of those too, they are 2.98 at my Pet Supplies Plus. The snakes love them! I kind of modeled the ones I made after the size of the coconut ones. so 6 hides x $3 = $18. I made 6 for that plus I can make at least 6 more. I guess it depends how many you need. If I didn't need lots, I'd have bought them.

I have 24x24 cages coming and for my little ones, I want lots of hides in those large cages, I'll need minimum of 2 anyways so this is cheaper plus everything won't be identical.

I'll post pics when I paint mine which will probably be tomorrow because they have to dry a minimum of 24 hours. I should go make some more so I can paint all at once tomorrow.

If you're looking for ideas on how to stabilize a hide larger than these little ones, try rolling a layer of wire mesh into the clay. Make sure all the pointy edges are covered by clay = it stabilizes nicely and is invisible (I used it between two layers of very thinnly rolled clay) you can bend it whichever way you want to and it won't collapse while drying. You can get the mesh in any crafting store =)

ah, mesh. I don't have any but could get some. Like screen, that would be perfect.
Brilliant, thank you!

mini4x - the holes on the coconut hides are about 1-1/2 tall and 1-1/4 wide - that's going by guessing since I didn't want to take the hide out. My 1 year old snake would easily fit through it although she can't fit in it.

I just went to the dollar store and got little plastic bowls that came in a 3pk for a dollar. I cut out lil holes and boom done! My lil guys love them! They are bright green so it adds color to their cages!

I made these last night using Crayola air dry clay - from Target 5# was $9. If you use this stuff, you might want to buy wax paper to roll it with. I tried it on the counter which was disaster, just had to peel it all up with a knife, but then I used foil which wasn't too bad but wax paper would be perfect. I made 6 and I probably have about enough clay to make another 6 or more, but I don't want them all so small and I'm trying to figure out a way to make larger ones. I didn't have a rolling pin so I used a can of air freshener, lol!

I'm going to paint them with texture paint which will hide any imperfections - I have 2 cans of different colors and those run about $8/can. I think once I get them painted they will look nice. They don't look too bad w/out the paint even.

photo-33.jpg

two thumps way up for this, way to be creative and low cost. I think I am gonna give it a whirl

Back