CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

Best captures

Old 12-19-2011, 01:29 PM   #51
DMong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optreptiles View Post
That is really cool. It seems that all the best reptiles (and amphibians) live in Florida...
Well, certainly many of them anyway!

~Doug

Old 12-19-2011, 07:06 PM   #52
tspuckler
I grew up reading snake books and dreaming about someday being able to find some "classic" American snakes in the field. Here are a few from the last couple of years - these were the first time I've ever encountered any of these in the field:

Found a Rubber Boa this year and was totally stoked (NorCal in August):

First Ribbon Snake (southern Illinois last year):

Red Milk (southern Illinois in October):

Lyre Snake (April near Las Vegas):

Western Diamondback (last year in June in Arizona):

Eastern Hognose (east coast 2007):

And a couple from my home state -

Last year I caught a few melanistic Eastern Garters in in NW Ohio:

And this year I caught the longest snake I've ever found in the field. Althought I've captured Black Rat Snakes previously, this one was just shy of six feet.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:10 PM   #53
Optreptiles
@tspuckler: awesome rat snake, I caught one that was around that size a while back, and it remains to be the largest snake I've ever caught

Old 12-20-2011, 12:22 AM   #54
hypnoctopus
That lyre snake is SO cute! I've never even heard of them - time for a trip to Wikipedia!

Old 12-23-2011, 05:25 AM   #55
Jasonx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
Rough green snake:
the science teacher on the other team has like 5 of these in one tank, and also has a black racer i think, a chinchilla, and a few other snakes, and to top it all off, around 8 snakes in jars WITHOUT LIDS

Old 12-23-2011, 10:43 AM   #56
anerybree
tspuckler: I just saw your web page about field herping in hocking hills! I recognized the black rat snake photo. Do you carry out trips like that often?

Old 12-24-2011, 02:19 PM   #57
Jasonx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonx View Post
the science teacher on the other team has like 5 of these in one tank, and also has a black racer i think, a chinchilla, and a few other snakes, and to top it all off, around 8 snakes in jars WITHOUT LIDS
i meant 8 spiders, not snakes.

Old 12-24-2011, 02:39 PM   #58
reptile65
The only reptiles I've ever been able to catch in my area are garter snakes. I've caught some pretty nice looking ones though. Here are a few pictures from the last time I went herping:

Old 01-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #59
tspuckler
Quote:
tspuckler: I just saw your web page about field herping in hocking hills! I recognized the black rat snake photo. Do you carry out trips like that often?
I do an annual trip with high school students in the spring. Sometimes it's to Ohio, sometimes to Carter Caves and sometimes to the ocean (here's a photo of me and some students with our first ever Diamondback Terrapins). This year we'll be going to "The Wilds" which I think is near Columbus. Details are still being worked out, but I believe it will be the last weekend in April.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:28 PM   #60
cmb19
I enjoy seeing snakes from other areas than my own, since I STILL am unable to get myself a corn, this is about the only place I can really contribute. I actually have not been to the forum all that much because it's kinda depressing to want something and can't have it.

I have posted some of these here before..maybe all of them, but that's ok.

Eastern garter with no stripes, only one I've ever seen like this

Shorthead garter--missing the end of it's tail

Redbelly

I don't remember how many pics can fit in a post, so I'll make another.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google