CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

I seem to always miss the "morph" in the wild!

Old 05-30-2012, 03:43 PM   #21
Chip
Those are pretty, and definitely a different gene at work: http://www.flickr.com/photos/martenfisher/2939003334/
It would be neat to get a double visual of the two, though I'm putting the cart before the horse even assuming either are going to prove out!

Old 05-30-2012, 03:58 PM   #22
chris68
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalis40741 View Post
I would love to see it put over some of the calico black rats from Ky.
That's was the first thing I thought. Even it isn't the same thing, I'd take a pair of double hets :*)

10 years ago there were several guys and gals you could get various black rat morphs from; now Never understood why they don't get the love corns do...

Old 05-30-2012, 04:09 PM   #23
Chip
Their base color is black. That's the only reason I can think of. With corns, you can isolate so many colors and the pattern morphs also "last." Black rats are bigger, and seem to be on average about equally docile. A big 6+ foot "chocolate chip" rat is going to be impressive!

Old 05-30-2012, 05:22 PM   #24
tspuckler
I'm a huge fan of Black Rat Snakes, and that thing is 100% awesome.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:50 PM   #25
Kevin S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris68 View Post
That's was the first thing I thought. Even it isn't the same thing, I'd take a pair of double hets :*)

10 years ago there were several guys and gals you could get various black rat morphs from; now Never understood why they don't get the love corns do...
I'd like to see a whitesided version of this new palmetto-ish morph. Black rats (and many other North American rats) are very undervalued as far as I'm concerned. Maybe new morphs like this one will revive some of the interest in black rats. Someone in MD recently posted pics of a strange WC black rat morph-white and orange with normal looking eyes.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:08 PM   #26
BloodyBaroness
Quote:
Originally Posted by elrojo View Post
Their base color is black. That's the only reason I can think of. With corns, you can isolate so many colors and the pattern morphs also "last." Black rats are bigger, and seem to be on average about equally docile. A big 6+ foot "chocolate chip" rat is going to be impressive!
I think you hit the nail on the head. Fewer colors, mostly just a big black snake, which I am totally okay with. I think they are very neat critters.

Well played on chocolate chip as a name.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:44 AM   #27
chris68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin S. View Post
I'd like to see a whitesided version of this new palmetto-ish morph. Black rats (and many other North American rats) are very undervalued as far as I'm concerned. Maybe new morphs like this one will revive some of the interest in black rats. Someone in MD recently posted pics of a strange WC black rat morph-white and orange with normal looking eyes.
As the story goes the first whitesided black rat was caught in MD (Harford Co?) by a guy named George Miskimmon (sp). Also was mentioned by a member years ago there was a population containing amelanistics from a certain area in MD...

Old 05-31-2012, 01:43 PM   #28
crotalis40741
This is what I would like to see it crossed to. I know I said earlier but a pic is so much better than words.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:46 PM   #29
ceduke
DYK I just woke up from a dream that I found a similar looking snake. LoL, there are no black rats around here! I was so happy though...

Old 05-31-2012, 03:43 PM   #30
komodo_28
That thing is very neat looking! I agree that Black Rats are undervalued and I hope this helps gets them noticed more.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google