CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

Viv project!!

Old 09-13-2012, 04:12 PM   #11
Floof
I don't know whether polycrylic is safe. I used polyurethane because I've heard it mentioned many times in regards to DIY enclosures. This is the exact product I used: http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...9#.UFI9c67YGc4

It was easy to apply. I used 4 or 5 coats for good measure, and let it air out for about a week and a half, I think it was?

Old 09-13-2012, 04:38 PM   #12
SharkBait1992
Thanks for the link I will have to go later and see if I can find it.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:42 PM   #13
HazAnga
I would think either one would be safe. After all it is the fumes that are the most toxic after it's completely dried it should be perfectly fine.

I'll just have to see (Eventually) once i end up building a Boa enclosure.

Old 09-14-2012, 01:20 AM   #14
Floof
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazAnga View Post
I would think either one would be safe. After all it is the fumes that are the most toxic after it's completely dried it should be perfectly fine.

I'll just have to see (Eventually) once i end up building a Boa enclosure.
You would know better than me, I'm sure! I know very little about anything DIY, which is why I played it safe and stuck with what I know has been used successfully (the polyurethane).

Old 09-14-2012, 01:34 AM   #15
SharkBait1992
I googled the stuff I found at Walmart and people have used it sucessfully so I will probably go with whichever is cheaper haha

Old 09-20-2012, 09:34 PM   #16
SharkBait1992
Well im getting close to being finished I need to cut the wood for the front get glass and sliding track and i need to do the bottom. I was wondering what the best thing to use for the sliding doors is like glass or plexi glass or acrylic, i am just worried about normal glass breaking

Old 09-20-2012, 10:50 PM   #17
HazAnga
I'm not sure which would work best, I have the same thought running through my mind for when i build a viv for my Brazilian Rainbow boa i just picked up. I too worry about the glass breaking and i think that maybe acrylic in place of the glass would work better then the plexi, due to Acrylic being harder then plexi glass. But then you have to worry more so about scratches, but at the same time at least snakes don't have claws to scratch it with.

That's my opinion, I'd probably see about using Acrylic in place of glass. Wouldn't hurt to try.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:00 PM   #18
SharkBait1992
Yea I think I will probably do acrylic i will figure out for sure when I look at prices and stuff tomorrow, I also know I will be moving my viv a few times before it is in a permenant place which will include a move to an apartment and I dont wanna break the glass along the way. I also need to figure out lighting the only strip LEDs I found were pretty expensive.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:39 AM   #19
HazAnga
See what you can find on ebay or something. Otherwise I'd just go with a ceramic light fixture and use the curly bulbs and make a wire cage to go around it.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:42 PM   #20
Floof
They aren't as nice as LEDs, but what about a fluorescent under cabinet light? Available in the same area as under cabinet style LEDs at home improvement stores.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google