CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

snake id (copper head?)

Old 09-04-2013, 07:32 PM   #11
MotleyMedusa7
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalis40741 View Post
I would like to see better pics of it myself. IF it is a copperhead is one of the weirdest ones I have seen.
I agree--it looks like the juvenile water snakes we have around here--have a more clear pic of the face?

Old 09-04-2013, 07:33 PM   #12
Oscarsdad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
(Any snake can and _will_ make its head into a triangle shape to scare people off).

I can't see the pupils, but that is a heavy-bodied snake, very typical of a copperhead. A same-length ratsnake would be thin like a piece of rope.
True- but when a non- venomous snake does that they have to get the mass from somewhere, they" flatten" their heads. In other words from a top view, their heads look triangular but from the side they get thinner. This snake has too thick a head profile for that.

Rat snakes are pretty thin but can appear larger if recently fed.But rat snakes have a big head that makes their bodies look slimmer. They also aren't known for head flattening as much as posing, biting and tail rattling.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:35 PM   #13
crotalis40741
This is my vote (Nerodia fasciata) southern water snake

Old 09-04-2013, 07:41 PM   #14
MotleyMedusa7
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalis40741 View Post
This is my vote (Nerodia fasciata) southern water snake
yup-agree again. this is a link to a copperhead in Alabama- http://www.dcnr.state.al.us/watchabl...s/Snakes/c.cfm

Old 09-04-2013, 07:44 PM   #15
crotalis40741
Not a good pic, but here is a young copperhead from here in Ky.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:46 PM   #16
Nanci
Watersnakes always have those bug-eyes. Like the snake in question. Plus- you see them with those aberrant aztec markings.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:48 PM   #17
MotleyMedusa7
I forgot-I also took some pics of copperheads I could show- http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/sho...rn+copperheads

Old 09-04-2013, 07:49 PM   #18
crotalis40741
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyMedusa7 View Post
I forgot-I also took some pics of copperheads I could show- http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/sho...rn+copperheads

I want that one in the pic.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:51 PM   #19
MotleyMedusa7
that one was pretty!

Old 09-04-2013, 07:53 PM   #20
crotalis40741
Would like to cross it with this one found here in Ky. They call it tiger striped copperhead.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google