CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

My first lock

Old 03-12-2019, 07:14 AM   #11
67temp
The behavior of the okeetee seems to be indicating it's a boy.

Old 03-12-2019, 08:36 AM   #12
Dragonling
Hah, welcome to the club. I had a beautiful "female" Diffused Topaz het Lavender I was planning to breed to my male Strawberry Plasma het Lava Butter. As the girls were beginning to shed I noticed the Topaz's tail looked a bit...thick. Tossed my female SK in the tub and HE wasted no time courting her.

Old 03-13-2019, 11:57 AM   #13
67temp
So what do you do in that situation? Sell off a male, find something else to pair it with, buy more females to pair them to, ditch the whole project...etc?

Thankfully for me I have a female or two that is similar to the original male honey bloodred Miami. The planned project can still continue but will take another year to get the girls up to size. So I'm only loosing out on time and a clutch form this year and the planned clutch from next year.

Old 03-13-2019, 12:41 PM   #14
Twolunger
When I start a morph project I keep duplicates on hand just in case a problem turns up later. I can always sell those corns excess to my needs much easier than trying to find or buy one at the last minute.

Old 03-14-2019, 02:53 PM   #15
Dragonling
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67temp View Post
So what do you do in that situation? Sell off a male, find something else to pair it with, buy more females to pair them to, ditch the whole project...etc?

Thankfully for me I have a female or two that is similar to the original male honey bloodred Miami. The planned project can still continue but will take another year to get the girls up to size. So I'm only loosing out on time and a clutch form this year and the planned clutch from next year.
In my case I wound up selling him. I regretted that this year. Extra males can be handy, especially if they're nice looking.

Old 03-19-2019, 02:56 PM   #16
DeuceRon
That's very exciting!! So what ages should corns be before a breeding attempt? Just curious..no plans to breed for me.

Old 03-19-2019, 03:42 PM   #17
67temp
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceRon View Post
That's very exciting!! So what ages should corns be before a breeding attempt? Just curious..no plans to breed for me.
I have at least three 2017 males that went into breeding mode this year so that makes them just under two years old. My females are waiting another year then I will judge their body condition before attempting to breed . I also have a female that is over 3yo right now but was starved the first few years of her life so her body size and weight is only on par with my other 17's. I may never breed her as it may take to much of a toll on her body.

Old 03-22-2019, 02:13 PM   #18
DeuceRon
Gotcha. Thanks for the info

Old 03-25-2019, 08:55 AM   #19
67temp
On a whim I tossed one of my virgin females in with a virgin male. I checked back with them 10 minutes later and they were already locked up. I guess she will be making several more conjugal visits in the near future. Pairing was a caramel, sunkissed, bloodred, Miami 66% ph amel 50% ph cinder X Caramel Miami 66% ph Sunkissed Amel Cinder Bloodred.

Old 05-02-2019, 07:23 AM   #20
67temp
On day 67.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google